Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 30, 2010
UK
TL;DR: Where is the logic in sending sporadic shipments of Pencils and Keyboards to random stores at random times, with no reservations?

Normally I defend Apple.

I like to think they're a bunch a smart people who make decisions that often seem stupid to us, but work out being the right ones in the long run.

But I simply cannot understand why they don't allow reservations of the Pencil or Keyboard.

They do it for the iPhones - even in the UK where there is no personal pickup option for anything else (yet).

The mechanisms are in place.

Where is the logic in sending sporadic shipments of Pencils and Keyboards to random stores at random times?

Reactions: sparkie1984

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Just limited stock really, and true-to-form they've made a pig's ear of rolling it out consistently; sure, it's not the smoothest rollout, but name one Apple product that has been :p

I personally save my anger for the 5400RPM drives and 16GB iPhones. ;)

Reactions: sparkie1984

highdefjunkie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2010
Chicago
Oh Apple knows exactly what they are doing. It's all psychological. They are basically creating a buzz/frenzy for the pencil, which makes us all want one even more so. Hell, my pencil is getting delivered today, but for reasons I simply cannot explain, my brain is telling me I have to check the local Apple store every single day in hopes I get another one? It's sick I tell ya............sick! :)

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 30, 2010
UK
They are basically creating a buzz/frenzy for the pencil.

I suppose, but the buzz stems from the scarcity.

Not from the frustration and inconvenience of checking your local Apple store three times a day.

I don't think they care much for 'buzz' any more. If they did, we'd have the big blockbuster launches on every launch. Buzz ≠ frustration.

Aside: the Apple clique is somewhat frustrating. Apple is so closed off and impenetrable that those lucky few - the reviewers, the media, the friends of the big guns - who get the opportunities to ask the embarrassing questions, i.e. "WTF is going on with the iPad Pro accessories", really ought to use their opportunity wisely. But they don't.

Reactions: highdefjunkie

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Could be many reasons. I'd blame the delivery agencies to some extent - Apple Stores don't know exactly when they'll get shipments for shelf items. They do for ship-to-store, but I'm guessing Apple Stores normally split accessories between online orders and physical stocks, so this is a norm.

Arguably you could say that they should have simply restricted them to online orders for all stocks, but then you'd have to consider walk-in customers.

Really the only sure thing to blame, IMO, is the terrible underestimation of demand for the Apple Pencil. If they had a better estimate, there would be enough for everyone.

But this is a perennial problem for Apple.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 30, 2010
UK
Could be many reasons. I'd blame the delivery agencies to some extent - Apple Stores don't know exactly when they'll get shipments for shelf items.

Even with that being the case, a sensible solution would be to hold that stock back a day, opening reservations the following morning.

*must resist joining Angela-hating bandwagon*
*must resist joining Angela-hating bandwagon*
Arrrrgh it's all Angela's fault and she's bloody useless and should go back to selling scarves! :p

Reactions: modernaccord

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I believe its just to get the pencil in the hands of the most customers as quick as possible. Its much easier to ship 20 to a store and put them out then ship 5 here, label for pickup, wait for pickup, 5 here, etc. Its just logistics of shipping as many as possible to as many stores as possible until inventory levels normalize.

Reactions: Night Spring

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Oh Apple knows exactly what they are doing. It's all psychological. They are basically creating a buzz/frenzy for the pencil, which makes us all want one even more so. Hell, my pencil is getting delivered today, but for reasons I simply cannot explain, my brain is telling me I have to check the local Apple store every single day in hopes I get another one? It's sick I tell ya............sick! :)
Enough with this conspiracy theory. Apple is losing upsales by not having stock, and they know it. They had limited stock, apparently because they don't have the production down yet, and made the decision to ship the iPad Pro before they had sufficient stock of the accessories. Better for them to lose a Pencil sale than lose an iPad Pro sale altogether.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Normally I defend Apple.
Why? Apple has and can afford attorneys and PR people.

Where is the logic in sending sporadic shipments of Pencils and Keyboards to random stores at random times?
What's the logic in using reservations? You seem to be conflating assumption with logic. Apple doesn't offer reservations on all products. Not agreeing with how they handle a product you desire and not understanding why they're doing what they're doing != "illogical". You'd need to clearly explain why it is illogical with a better understanding of the specific logistics at play. Instead, you're operating on assumption and simply from the perspective of a frustrated consumer.

Not saying your frustration isn't justified but it doesn't mean that what Apple is doing is illogical.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I don't get it either. Worse yet they are allowing people to buy more than one despite limited supply. I get a little pissed when I hear of people buying like five at a time. Apple really ****ed up this launch, and it pisses me off a great deal because it's the only product of Apple's I've cared about in a long time.

tjs252

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
Random shipments create uncertainty. I think you'd rather disappoint people who randomly walk in than disappoint people who have a reservation.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
I think that the issue is that they want to put stock out on shelves. When there are only 10-15 available per shipment because of production problems, and they proceed to put 10-15 on the shelf, it's difficult to time the online orders vs someone grabbing it from the shelf.

Example: I order product xyz at 1140am online for store pickup. Order transmits to store employees by 1142am, and employee fetches product off the shelf at 1145am. A MacRumors fan walks into the store at 1143 and just grabs product xyz off the shelf before the apple employee can get to it. Now my online pickup is no longer fulfillable, and apple will have to cancel on me.

This isn't an issue when the products are only stored in the backend, like iPads, iPhones, Macs, and iPods.

Reactions: Night Spring

Brookzy

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 30, 2010
UK
Why? Apple has and can afford attorneys and PR people.
Defend, as in, take their side. Perhaps I should have said 'agree with'.

Attorneys? Simmer down, this is not a legal issue...

What's the logic in using reservations?
That it reduces wasted trips to the Apple Store, wasted interactions with Store staff, and wasted calls to the support line.

You seem to be conflating assumption with logic.
This is not a scientific paper. I'm stating that with certain assumptions that their actions appear illogical to me - assuming, of course, that logical action means actions that result in a fair and efficient distribution of a scarce product that benefits both parties. You cannot think that the current method of distribution is good for anyone except the odd lucky scalper.

Apple doesn't offer reservations on all products.
It's implicit in my post that I know this, I'm not sure why you're repeating this.

Instead, you're operating on assumption
Well yes, obviously. No-one here can operate on anything other than assumption.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 30, 2010
UK
Example: I order product xyz at 1140am online for store pickup. Order transmits to store employees by 1142am, and employee fetches product off the shelf at 1145am. A MacRumors fan walks into the store at 1143 and just grabs product xyz off the shelf before the apple employee can get to it. Now my online pickup is no longer fulfillable, and apple will have to cancel on me.
Very good point.

Could be somewhat mitigated by keeping stock in the back like with iPhones but I suppose that would impact sales - though I think we can safely assume that when demand exceeds supply by this magnitude that a lost walk-in sale wouldn't actually result in lower overall sales.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
What I find most irritating is the lack of any consistency with regard to major project launches. Sometimes you can reserve, sometimes no. Sometimes they allow pre-orders, sometimes orders and retail brick and mortar availability are at the same time...

Geez Apple. Maybe just a little consistency so we can plan ahead, eh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.