whats the master password used for?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluedoggiant, Aug 2, 2007.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

i know its used for wen u download sumthing it asks u to enter it, but wat else, if i put another account on the mac, do i have to make another master password? do u need to make master password for every account or sumthing? cuz im planning to get leopard, my dad will use the parental controls, which uses the master password, so i cant know it, but wen i download sumthing, i need to know it, and do u need it to download pdfs, docs, images, videos and all, or just apps, and if i put another account on it, will the parental control settings work on that other account too? do u get to make another password so wen u download things, its not the master password that u use, please answer, i know these are alot of questions!!!!:(

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You shouldn't need a password for downloading regular files. The password may be necessary for installing apps though. If your dad doesn't want you downloading certain things, then he can prevent it from the Parental Controls. You'll then need to talk to him about getting apps installed. :)

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

thats wat i thot, i talked to him about it, he agreed, and plus i might just get another account for myself on it