Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
this made me cry. I had a similar thing happen except I lucky to have help quicker. My dog however was almost 11...

I wish you all the best.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Please keep us posted mate as i'm worried for the poor little fella now. Hope it all works out ok.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Hi everyone, thanks for all the suppport. My dad came home and we went to the vet.

The vet is sending out blood to be tested but he was able to do a test that showed his platelet, red blood cell, and white blood cell counts are extremely low. This explains his bleeding and lethargic behavior. Yesterday however, he was acting perfectly normal.

The doctor suspects one of two causes but have to get blood work results back
1) Some type of tick disease
2) An autoimmune disease that has developed and has reached its breaking point

They gave him antibiotics and steroids to try to treat both possible problems

The blood test results should be back tomorrow.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Hi everyone, thanks for all the suppport. My dad came home and we went to the vet.

The vet is sending out blood to be tested but he was able to do a test that showed his platelet, red blood cell, and white blood cell counts are extremely low. This explains his bleeding and lethargic behavior. Yesterday however, he was acting perfectly normal.

The doctor suspects one of two causes but have to get blood work results back
1) Some type of tick disease
2) An autoimmune disease that has developed and has reached its breaking point

They gave him antibiotics and steroids to try to treat both possible problems

The blood test results should be back tomorrow.

It's good your dad came home and you two were able to go talk to the vet. It was a lot for you to have to deal with alone.

Let us know how it all works out, ok?

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
It might be deer tick or lymes disease. Common in your neck of the woods, but odd for this time of year , I believe. My beagle had that 2x and chugged along till the age of 16. Hang in g there and good luck!!!

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I don't know all the details but some tests came back and he does not have what they suspected we have. We have to take him up to some Vet ER in Springfield, Ma where they have more extensive options for looking at what's wrong with him.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
My dog took us totally by surprise as well.

My vet explained that animals tend to keep up there best appearance until the last possible moment they can maintain it.

Not sure if this is true or not but made me feel a little bit better at the time.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Well he's now overnight at the intensive care unit of some dog hospital in MA.

They say the causes of no red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets could be because of
1) Toxins such as rat poison
2) Lymes Diseases
3) Autoimmune disorders
4) Metal Poisoning
5) Cancerous Tumors

# 1,2,3 have been ruled out.

If he does have cancer or metal that he does not get out on his own, they will have to surgically remove it, which isn't really possible because he has no blood platelets so he won't be able stop bleeding. The vet says the chances are bleak. Its amazing how this happened literally overnight.

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
Yes, how is he today? Any improvement? I hope he gets better, but if he has a slim chance, please don't let him suffer needlessly. My sympathies for what you are going through. It can be very difficult, I know. I'm crossing my fingers for all of you.....

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Another possibility...

Not sure if anyone suggested this or not, but if they haven't, you might ask that they give your dog an x-ray. The symptoms you describe are quite similar to the symptoms one of my dogs had when he swallowed a large stone (actually he did it twice). Your dog may have swallowed something large. If that's the case, and there's blood as you say, it needs to be caught quick because the internal bleeding (from the intestine lining) can be fatal.

Keep us posted.

YT

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
Well, I just checked this out today, and I really hope everything goes well. I know how close of a friend a dog can be. I have two, and I'd be devastated if anything happened to them.

Godspeed on your dog's recovery. Hope is strength. :)

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I would also like to know the condition of your dog. I read this last night and I almost cried like others.

BTW, give the dog a hug for me.:eek:

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
He had x-rays and ultrasounds done. They didn't find tumors or foreign objects. They found a blood donor which was pretty fortunate and apparently he's energetic and is barking, which is a good sign, but they don't know if he will stay better.

They took more blood samples and are having them analyzed and the results should be in tomorrow.

I am going to go look around my yard to see if he ate anything. He's not the type of dog that eats money, rocks, etc. One possibility is that my neighbors are using poisons and that like a field mouse ingested it, and my dog caught and ate the mouse. Hopefully the doctors will be able to figure this out. There are a couple vets looking at him and an internal medicine doctor.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
thanks for the update. glad to hear that hes doing a bit better.
hopefully they can figure out what caused it all so that it can be solved/prevented from happening again.

i can't imagine what i'd do if i was in this situation with my cat or dog :eek:

TheDance511

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2007
California soon
thanks for the update. glad to hear that hes doing a bit better.
hopefully they can figure out what caused it all so that it can be solved/prevented from happening again.

i can't imagine what i'd do if i was in this situation with my cat or dog :eek:

Yes..! im glad to hear your dog is okay! :) im glad

What kind of dog is he/she?

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Yes..! im glad to hear your dog is okay! :) im glad

What kind of dog is he/she?

Well, okay for maybe the time being.

He's a yellowlab-german shepherd mix we believe. He was abandoned as a puppy in the city of Hartford and some lady rescued him and we took him from her.

Here are some pics

Max0001.jpg

DSC00613.jpg

P1010039-1.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

l_70a582c89a382d76682b1fe295ece5bb.jpg

P1010001.jpg

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
Man, I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful dog.. What is his/her name? Your dog will definitely be in my family's prayers..We're going through something similar with one of our Boxers right now, though not as dramatic as your situation was.. He had a cyst on his leg removed on Monday and the vet said she believes it's cancer.. We're devastated.. Like you, we rescued Mooch after he had been abused and we just fell in love with him- so much so that we drove 10 hours each way to get another Boxer puppy (Buford) for Mooch to play with.. Mooch took the ride with us picked out his little brother.. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I know exactly how you feel- pets are family and when they're hurting, we're hurting..

I'm very impressed with how you handled the situation- you very well may have saved your dogs life.. Your parents should be very proud of you.. Please continue to keep us posted..

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
Glad to hear he is doing better. Great pics. He is very handsome. I would like to believe that everyone would behave with the same care and urgency as you have in this emergency. I know I would spare no expense when it came to my pet's health.

Here's hoping for a continued improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.