What's the max RAM that a 2012 cMBP can take?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Star Nuts, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Star Nuts macrumors member

The Apple site says its configurable to 8GB but is that just how much they'd put in or is that the max it can take?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Max is 16GB. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

3. Star Nuts thread starter macrumors member

Holy ****! Thanks for that. I can't believe I didn't know that.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The good news is you DO know that... now! :D

5. Fed macrumors 6502

Do you know why Apple state it's 8GB? Is it to do with Support/Warranty?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple has historically understated maximum RAM on many Mac models, as shown in the Actual Maximum RAM link I posted. The reason isn't clear.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

since they charge $200 for $50 4GBx2 kits, they would have to charge $400 for $100 8gbx2 kits and that would just make them look greedy ;)

8. theBostonian Suspended

I thought from Sandy Bridge onwards the maximum RAM they can use is 32GB (once 16GB modules become available)?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since 16GB modules aren't yet available, the max is 16GB.

10. CFoss macrumors 6502

In that case, if the 32GB RAM sticks stay with the same specifications, it would be interesting to see if they're compatible with the cMBP 2012 models. I believe a similar situation occurred with the 2011 models and 16GB (8x8) models of RAM?

I don't think the 2012 MacBooks will really benefit that much with 32GB of RAM though. You can never tell though.

11. theBostonian Suspended

That isn't being entirely honest, my good man. You're implying that 16GB is the absolute maximum when this is patently not the case. The absolute maximum, albeit in theory, is 32GB for all Macs past Sandy Bridge.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is being honest. Theoretical maximum doesn't do any good in real life. The max someone can upgrade the MBP to is 16GB. If that changes in the future with 16GB RAM modules being available and tested to prove they're compatible, I'll update that number, as will everymac.com and MacTracker.

13. theBostonian Suspended

But the OP asked what is the maximum RAM a MBP can take. The honest answer is it can take 32GB with the caveat that 16GB modules are not currently available.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a matter of honesty. It's a matter of what answer is accurate now, or theoretically possible in the future. I find the practical real-world answer more useful than the theoretical future answer. You're welcome to answer any way you choose, but neither answer is dishonest.

15. theBostonian Suspended

This is veering worryingly off-topic, I didn't mean dishonest in that you were maliciously withholding the truth.

It seems we've reached ἀπορɛία and so we can leave this discussion at that.

To the OP, the maximum RAM a cMBP from 2012 can take is 32GB once 16GB modules become available.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One other thing to consider is that there's more at play than the chipset maximum. As an example, earlier Macs could only use roughly 3GB of RAM, when the chipset supported 4GB:

Why are the MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" models limited to 3 GB of memory? If I install dual 2 GB modules, why won't I be able to use 4 GB of RAM? @ EveryMac.com

Until there are proven reports of MBPs successfully using 32GB of RAM, I'd prefer to report what has been proven to work.

17. theBostonian Suspended

Is this proof enough?

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not questioning whether Sandy Bridge can support 32GB. I'm not even questioning that MBPs won't be able to support 32GB. I'm saying I won't claim that you can upgrade a MBP to 32GB until I know it's been done successfully by more than once or twice. Quote 32GB all you like. I'll keep reporting what I know works today.

19. simsaladimbamba

While I also always state, that the chipset supports 32 GB, the article/thread you linked does not use a board Apple uses, and the DIMMs used on this are not SO-DIMMs. Maybe the 2011 and 2012 Macs with two SO-DIMM slots will support 32 GB, but as of now, there is no proof.