Whats the more noticeable speed increase with RAM upgrades?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anotherarunan, Dec 27, 2007.

1. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Hey guys, i have a macbook (2.2 SR, 1gb RAM) and was thinking of upgrading. Ive seen a lot of people put in 4gb's into their macbooks, but am not sure if i really need it. To be honest, im not sure if i need more than the 1gb i have now. So will i need the extra RAM, and how much should i put in? and is it better to go from 1 to 4gb or 1 to 2 to 4 over a long period of time. I mainly use it for general use (web, downloads, music, occasional retouching of photos, and very basic imovie stuff..athough i do plan to install windows xp on it in the near future)

Thanks!

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I think that 2GB should be fine for what you're doing. I do basically the same tasks and 1GB has done pretty well for me. I would suggest that you get one stick of 2GB for now and replace one of the 512MB sticks for a total of 2.5GB. Then if you want more later, it's much easier to go up to 4GB.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Agree with this. Besides that, the difference between 1 and 2 gigs will exceed the diff between 2 and 4, unless you're really tasking the computer.

4. anotherarunan thread starter macrumors 6502

So i take it the additional 512mb of RAM outweights the benefit you get from having matched pairs of RAM (2 x 1gb) , right?

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, by far. It also opens up more options for future expansion. Getting one stick of 2GB should have a cost pretty close to that of two sticks of 1GB. Plus you get a bit more RAM in your computer as well.

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. anotherarunan thread starter macrumors 6502

Except in the UK, they dont use dollars :D

And yeah, might have to import from the US, as the prices are WAY different

2gb kit = £35 ($70)
    2gb single stick = £49 ($100)
    4gb kit = (around £100) ($200)

importing from the US is beginning to make sense, wheres the best place over there that will post to the UK?

9. kg1984 macrumors member

I have a related question.

My black MacBook is currently shipping, I've already purchased 2 x 2gb sticks of RAM for it. What would you advise - upgrading the RAM as soon as I get the MacBook out of the box, or turning it on and going through the initial set up before upgrading it? Would there be any advantage doing it one way or the other?

Thanks.

10. sportsnut macrumors regular

What would be the point of upgrading the ram before you even booted up the machine to see if it worked. :eek:

11. anotherarunan thread starter macrumors 6502

Personally, I would use the machine on 1gb for a while, so you can fully appreciate the speed increase! :D

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have to agree.

Make sure it's not DOA first.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just the general drek, and I get very few pageouts on 2GB of memory -- little to none.

But the difference between 1 & 2 is very noticeable.

While the bump to 4GB wouldn't really be felt unless you really like to open up a ton of apps at once and flip the channels like a meth monkey hogging the cable remote.