what's the most efficient way to redo a Project?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by patent10021, Jul 24, 2015.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

Let say you've got a lot done and imported a lot of frameworks and stuff. You've decided you need to start over but want to keep 60% of your work. What's the best way to approach?

Copy Project folder and start cleaning? Duplicate swift files? What about your Git? Create a new Git?

Why doesn't Xcode have a "Save Project As New Project" feature? So you can easily with one click change project, app, file names all in one go?

Do other IDEs have this feature?

2. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Start a new project with a different name and copy the files you want from the other.

You do know you can drag and drop them from one project to another?

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

Of course but it can get real messy really quick. Plus dragging and dropping is just that. You have to reconnect everything.

Xcode really needs a Save As New Project option just like Final Cut or Logic.

4. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

You are using git, what is wrong with creating a new branch and then when you're done merging it back to master?

https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows/feature-branch-workflow

5. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

Yeah that's what I've been doing since this week lol :)

I'm trying to decide if I prefer the command line or the GitHub app better. I like the app since it can often prevent command line mistakes/typos that could mess things up. With a GUI there aren't any mistakes due to mistyped file names and things. Sure you can roll-back using command line but why create more potential work.

At least that's how I view it.

6. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

I personally like the command line...that said, SourceTree (https://www.sourcetreeapp.com) is often listed as one of the best git GUIs out there.

Glad you got it worked out!

7. Boris-VTR macrumors regular

Uhm...select project folder, duplicate and then rename it. Done.

P.s. If you drag and drop storyboard and files, then connections are also saved. You dont have to do them again.