What's the most important criteria for you when buying a case/folio for your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ElDogman, Apr 28, 2012.

?

What's the most important criteria for you when buying a case/folio for your iPad

1. Weight

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Aesthetic Design

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Functionality

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  4. Price

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Brand Name

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Protection

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

Just curious to see where everyone is coming from and what their preferences are.

For me personally its functionality followed by weight

weight
    aesthetic design
    function
    protection
    price
    brand

2. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Most important is functionality. Other than protection (totally covered cover) little else matters besides those two, least of all how it looks. As mine rarely leaves the house, it could be pink and say "Property of the Soviet Ballet" on it, but if it protects the iPad and works the way I want it, I'll buy it.

Mike

3. ElDogman thread starter macrumors 6502

ElDogman

functionality seems to be winning..
    i'm surprised by the lack of votes on weight, given how so many feel strongly about using only a back case and a smart cover at most.

4. echos macrumors newbie

For me, weight is a delimma. I know it's a heavy device and I should go for a light case, but it's really an expensive device and I probably should cover it up pretty well. So I'm getting a back case and a heavy duty leather folio case.

5. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

You forgot the most important criteria of all:

Bulk.

BJ

6. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I picked functionality but also look for a slim, lightweight design. Mainly looking for some protection but also has to have a good typing mode.

7. ElDogman thread starter macrumors 6502

ElDogman

that's a tough one.. usually slim and light weight compromises on protection or functionality. Ozaki iCoat Y-slim is light and it can be used in many different angles and positions but doesn't look like it protects well.. or the yoobao executive case doesn't have many angles or positions you could use.
    the closest I've seen so far in this forum is the STM Grip which is light and slim, and offers decent protection for its size, but all those potential viewing angles are really limited to just two good ones as i hear.

8. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Definitely aesthetic design. I will sacrifice a little protection by going with a Speck Fitfolio rather than an Otterbox. For an item so sexy and sleek as the iPad, I want a case that complements the design (no covered bezel, minimal design, vibrant color). Helps that it comes with functionality such as the viewing angles and the magnetic on/off actually working.

9. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Functionality and weight for me.

It's not like I choose one category at a time, though, where only the most functional cases are considered and then weight from there. If something's a functionality 5 and a weight 8, that has a shot against a functionality 8, weight 5. All the other things count too; just a question of how much.

10. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I guess I'd have to say design/aesthetics. I wanted a case that looked good, wasn't too bulky and was somewhat functional. Smart cover with Iblason back case fit that criteria quite well. While it doesn't offer much in terms of protection, I carry the iPad around in a Brenthaven sleeve which makes up for the lack of protection with my case. I get the best of both worlds without having to sacrifice looks vs protection. Happy with my setup :) I also have a generic folio type case that I use when traveling. It adds some bulk but protects a lot better than my other case does. I don't necessarily care about brand name either. If the case I bought was made by Campbell's Soup I'd still wind up getting it.

11. sotie macrumors 6502

Functionality and Aesthetics are equal for me.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I picked protection because that's why I want a cover in the first place. After that, the most important thing for me is that the cover feels good in my hand -- nice smooth texture, make the iPad less slippery, and cover up the edges so they don't dig into my hand when holding. And the thinner and lighter, the better.