What's the most important upgrade for "Taboholic" ordering new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Miss Terri, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking it's time to get a new laptop. I still have to decide between 13" or 15", but either way, what I would like to know is this:

The #1 thing that messes with my current computer (MBP 13", last Core2Duo model) is having 50+ tabs open. Firefox just slowly and inexorably eats up my RAM when I do this (I have 8 GB); Safari is better but still not great. Before long, temps are spiking and the fan is going nuts, then the beachball starts, etc.

I know that's a lot of tabs, but of all the possible heavy uses of a computer, that's the one I do, so I figure why not plan for it. Whichever MBP I decide on, I can see that the three "upgrade" variables will be these:

1) Processor speed
    2) RAM
    3) SSD size

Presuming I don't just max out everything (and I'm guessing I don't need to), which of these makes the most difference for my principle use, which is researching things with a gazillion tabs open? I'm guessing it's either Processor speed or RAM, but not sure which is more important (or if they are both equal).

Thanks for your input!

Miss Terri

MBP 13" 7,1
    Core2Duo 2.4 ghz
    8 GB RAM; 256 GB (non-SSD) hard drive

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

RAM would be the best upgrade for a taboholic.

3. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

4. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Getting the most ram possible would benefit you the most for tab hoarding. I know some people that are the same way, personally it would drive me nuts but I know you're not alone heh.

5. jeffsaha macrumors member

I am the same way and if I don't check myself once in a while, I can have over 50 tabs open at any given time haha...But RAM would be #1, imo, for a taboholic. Which is why I upgraded my 2009 MBP (8gb max) to the new 13" with 16gb :)

6. Miss Terri thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone. Sounds like maxing out on RAM will be important. I take it processor speed is less helpful? (I can't otherwise think of any reason I need "more" in that department.)

Ooh, sounds like a shiny tab machine :D I have had a 13" (of various generations) for years; this time around I'm not sure whether I want to stick with a "tidy little" 13" or change to a 15" Either way the info I get from this thread should help me to choose how to "outfit" it.

Spoken like a non-addict ;)

Seriously though, we each use a computer how we choose to, and that's my one most-desired use. So I figured why not go with the upgrade(s) that will be most effective for it.

Miss Terri

7. juliant macrumors newbie

I am also putting tabs as a consideration for getting a 13" or 15"...

13" would be nice and portable for usability.

I am using 15+" ASUS G53-JW currently for personal use and at work a Dell Vostro 3360. Worried that I might not get used to the lessened screen real estate, for watching videos and 'tabbing' for research work. :D

My typical day at work
    [​IMG]

Decisions, decision... :(

For your purpose I would suggest maxing out the RAM. It is also a wise choice as the RAM are now soldered on too.