Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
The home button on my ip4 is getting even worse. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and finally have it replaced in hopes that a new phone won't have the same problem.
I'm currently running 4.2.1 jailbroken and unlocked with baseband 1.59 which I believe is the latest unlockable baseband, correct?
Wonder if the Apple store would even have any older units in stock that have an older baseband... If not, hopefully by the time I decide to sell this model, an unlock solution will be available for other basebands.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
1.59.00 is the latest baseband that can be software unlocked (ultrasn0w).

2.10.xx, 3.10.xx, and 4.10.xx can only be unlocked with the Gevey Turbo Sim.

If you get your iPhone exchanged at Apple, the refurbished unit they'll give you will most likely be on a newer version.

Ramsay2011

macrumors member
May 7, 2011
i read on apples website a little disclaimer about them knowing that there are unlocking tools on the web and so all their phones are sold and exchanged with the latest updates :(

WRXface

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
yes just make sure your create a custom firmware holding back the baseband via pwnagetool.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
YES I do have 1.59.00 baseband and currently I am running iOS 4.0.1, can you direct me to the right source to read and do it myself. Will appreciate your help.

thanks

Jailbreak your phone, search for ultrasn0w in Cydia, install ultrasn0w and you're done.

Before you do anything, make sure to save you SHSH blobs with a program called TinyUmbrella.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Odd response coming from someone that just registered two months ago. I was not asking about how to jailbreak (have been doing that since you had to manually type in code on the first gen). I was referring to baseband. Going back a few weeks I found a handful of threads about preserving basebands, but none about the most current basebands. Obviously going back farther provides less helpful information as updates to firmware and jailbreak solutions change somewhat frequently.
But thanks for your worthwhile input to the thread.

It's crazy that this question is asked everyday...

PG, thank you. That's the information I was looking for.

1.59.00 is the latest baseband that can be software unlocked (ultrasn0w).

2.10.xx, 3.10.xx, and 4.10.xx can only be unlocked with the Gevey Turbo Sim.

If you get your iPhone exchanged at Apple, the refurbished unit they'll give you will most likely be on a newer version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.