what's the notable difference between dedicated graphics memory and non?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w...b, Oct 15, 2008.

1. w...b macrumors regular

like how the new MacBook pros have 9400M + 9600M with 256/512 mb, while the MacBooks only have the 9400M. I understand that, with the MacBooks, it will pull memory away from the ram. Is there a notable difference in speed? Will it slow down your computer if your using something that is graphics intensive.

I am asking because im on the border between getting the MacBook and MacBook Pro. Right now i have a 12 inch Powerbook 1.5Ghz 512 Ram with a Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200 with 64mb.

If I was to get a MacBook i would upgrade the ram to 4gb. So would that make a difference?

Thanks

W...B

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Funnily.. Your asking us a question we can't yet answer, not accurately. Cause those machines are too new and people have yet to own them, test them and benchmark them.

3. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

The question is more on what is the effect of having dedicated memory for a graphics card. I have only had this power book. My gf has the macbook white with 1gb of ram and it runs just as smooth as mine when playing a game like WoW. i just want to know if Theoretically there would be a difference between the 9400m and 9400m/9600m with 512/256mb.