what's the penalty for changing your shortname ??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by galloman, May 30, 2007.

1. galloman macrumors member

so I changed the shortname of my computer yeserday in an attempt to personalize it as I had it before my disk was replaced. I turned it back on and everything was just as they left it whne they installed the new disk.

I was given a link to a program that properly lets me change the short name, but my question is, what happens to what I already had before I changed the short name ??? Does it get lost ??

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

penalty? this is microsoft. worst penalty you will get is maybe having to use a mac mini on a 12'' monitor.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What procedure did you use to change your short name? As long as you use a legitimate procedure, there's no "penalty." What you've probably read about is that people go and change the name of their home folder because they think they're 1337. When you do *that*, when you log out and log back in, then OS X typically cannot find a home folder for your user and creates a new one. Nothing gets lost -- your old user folder is there under the wrong name, but it appears to be gone because you have a "new" home folder.

4. galloman thread starter macrumors member

I used the right click direct name edit procedure, totally wrong I know.

But then how can I fix this up ? I mean I already had updates and apps in there, so any help is most appreciated

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You have to be *much* clearer in describing what you're doing. Pretend I have no idea what you're talking about. Actually, it isn't pretending. What is the "right click direct name edit procedure?"

6. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

You will be forced to listen to five hours worth of bad top-40 hits from the 70's. I'm talking stuff like "Muskrat Love", and "The Night Chicago Died". :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. galloman thread starter macrumors member

sorry about that,

ok here is what happened.

I selected the little house with the short name and then put 2 fingers on my trackpad and the pressed the mouse button.

I chose the the rename option of the menu that appeared after I did what I described above

I typed a new name

I did other stuff and logged off

I went back on and everything was gone

I came here crying for help

and that's pretty much it

I rudimentarily called it right click edit procedure because I fiugred that I had done the equivalent of a right click and that choosing the rename form the menu I had just directly edited the thing; instead of just getting to the proper settings menu that allows me to imake that mistake.

Now, what can I do ? thanks a lot in advance

8. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

If you change your short name, your computer will hate you, yo momma will dis-own you, and yo dadda will attempt to hang you upside down by your toenails :D

9. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

You're sentenced for life listening to Bill Gates singing excerpts from Gilbert & Sullivan.

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Ok, give the man (or woman) a break. Most of us know that it'll be ok, that he hasn't lost anything (as long as he hasn't panicked and reinstalled the OS), but if you don't know exactly what's going on, seeing everything gone from your home directory is a scary experience, and joking about it doesn't help.

11. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I've done it myself before. :mad: