What's the perfect backup solution? And Superduper bootable clone how to???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PicnicTutorials, Mar 13, 2015.

1. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

What's the perfect backup solution? And Superduper bootable clone how to???

Hi. Thanks!

I have a iMac. I have it backed up with time machine on a external drive. I have the data backed up in the cloud via Crashplan. So I think my last step should be a bootable drive. Is that correct?

Couple questions about Superduper...

1. Can I (should I) put the bootable clone on a spinning drive?
    2. Can I upload this bootable clone to Crashplan? And if so would it boot my iMac once I re-downloaded it from Crashplan?

Any other tips you have for me?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want to make a bootable clone, I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner. Unlike SuperDuper, it also clones the OS X Recovery partition. You can clone to a spinning drive if you want, or a SSD. It won't clone to an online backup solution like Crashplan, and the clone can't be copied online, then downloaded and still boot properly.

3. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

cool thank you. how big is the bootable drive void all my personal docs? on a iMac 2013. Roughly

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The bootable drive is a clone of your internal drive. It's the same size.

5. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

OK I bought Carbon Copy Cloner. I have a couple questions.

1. Do I have to re-partition the destination drive? I cant just drag and drop the clone onto it and keep the drive as it currently is?

2. I will only use CCC infrequently. How the heck do I disable the process running in the menu bar up top?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you can't drag and drop a clone. You have to select the volume you want to use as a clone, format it, then clone directly onto that volume.
    Don't schedule any automatic backups and only launch CCC when you want to clone.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote above:
    [[ OK I bought Carbon Copy Cloner. I have a couple questions.
    1. Do I have to re-partition the destination drive? I cant just drag and drop the clone onto it and keep the drive as it currently is?
    2. I will only use CCC infrequently. How the heck do I disable the process running in the menu bar up top? ]]

You are way, WAY "overthinking things" regarding CCC.

Just -use it-, my friend.

Your target drive can be one partition, or more than one. I recommend that you create your bootable clone on the "first" partition (that is, the "uppermost" one is Disk Utility's partition list).

Launch CCC.
    Select your source drive on the left (your internal drive)
    Select your target drive on the right (your cloned backup)
    Then, let 'er go.

There are some initial warnings and dialogs CCC may present you with.
    One is "the switch" on the main panel. For a regular clone, put this in the "off" position.

CCC may ask if you want to clone the recovery partition as well. I don't include this on my backups, but you may want it.

CCC will also ask for your password, enter it, and it's stored for future use.

CCC will present you with a "running total" of what it's doing as the clone proceeds. That's ok with me.

Final thought:
    TEST your cloned backup after CCC has finished.
    To do that, reboot.
    As soon as you hear the startup sound, hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears.
    You should now see the backup drive as a bootable volume in startup manager.
    Click on it with the pointer and hit return.
    Does the Mac boot from the external drive?
    If so, that's a good clone.
    NOTE: the clone will look EXACTLY as the internal drive, so you have to go to the "About this Mac" choice under the Apple menu. Select it and check the drive name to confirm that you -are- booted up from the backup.

Once you're satisfied that the backup is working, just reboot back to the internal drive...

8. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Thanks. Well the menu icon (up top) is there regardless if ccc is opened. I can hide it but it's there. Therefore I assume that means it's running. Also regardless if the app it's self is open. It's not in my logins though.

Ok partition it. Cool. Got it. Retarded question prob. But currently the drive is partitioned into two. One for time machine and one for other stuff. Can I partition the drive with 3 sections on it? one for time machine. One for ccc bootable backup. And one for other stuff. It doesn't have to be a dedicated drive just for ccc correct? I just can't find any mention of multiple partitions with ccc.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:
    • System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items (SL and older: System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items)
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/LaunchAgents
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/StartupItems
    After you delete items from the list, restart your Mac and those processes should not be running.
    Yes, of course you can.

10. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

11. Matthew Barkle macrumors newbie

Not so long ago bought and installed CCC to make a clone of my HDD, i was moving to SSD. After using CCC i found it useful for backups, too.
    It is possible to setup a schedule, so CCC will do backup job at the designated time. And does it well, the changes are being saved in minutes nightly.