Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malcy16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I'm fortunate to own the latest iPad Mini and I love it but whenever Apple release any new products I always take a look and get a desire to change.
Regarding the iPad Pro I just don't understand the point of it.

So first of all I looked at my family/friends who own iPads and they own a mixture between the iPad/Air/Mini. And what do they use them for? - Browsing, Social Media, Drawing, Colouring, Reading, Streaming Shows.
None of my family/friends own an iPad Pro but I've met a number of customers/colleagues that have one. I asked what they use them for and they use them for....... Browsing, Social Media, Drawing, Colouring, Reading, Streaming Shows.

So I'm at a loss, whats the point of a iPad Pro? What can you do on a iPad Pro that you can't or will find difficult on another iPad in the range? To me it seems like buying a Ferrari to drive to the supermarket to pick up some snacks for the weekend.

P.S Sorry if this comes across like I'm slating iPad Pro owners/fans - I'm just curious. Also I'm slightly jealous as I think it looks great.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I bought an iPad Pro in 2018 when it got the redesign with the 2nd gen Apple Pencil and smart keyboard. At the time, there really wasn't any other alternative if you wanted great performance and longevity.

Today, I would say that most people are served by the iPad Air. It gets the M1 chip (though I suspect most people simply won't care about stage manager), plus the same Apple Pencil and keyboard support, plus it should be good for at least another 4-5 years of software updates at least.

The pro is for people who just want the best iPad experience possible, and don't mind paying extra for it. There really is no other way to explain it. It's like asking what the point of carrying a branded handbag is when it doesn't give you any more utility over a cheaper tote bag. The functionality is similar, but there are these little things that can improve the user experience. Whether it's worth it or not is ultimately up to the individual.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You are looking at it from your point of view and your priorities, that's why you don't understand why other people have a different view.
For me the main reasons are size and speakers. Even just for watching videos, having fuller speakers and a larger size is a better experience than a smaller device with worse speakers.
Also ideal for documents and sheet music in portrait mode.
I bought the iPad pro immediately when it came out in 2015, and I also got the 2018 and the 2021 ones.
Would do it again.

Malcy16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
You are looking at it from your point of view and your priorities, that's why you don't understand why other people have a different view.
For me the main reasons are size and speakers. Even just for watching videos, having fuller speakers and a larger size is a better experience than a smaller device with worse speakers.
Also ideal for documents and sheet music in portrait mode.
I bought the iPad pro immediately when it came out in 2015, and I also got the 2018 and the 2021 ones.
Would do it again.
Hence why I asked friends, family, colleagues and customers?

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Let's put matters of practicality aside and consider your question in a slightly different context.

A used but serviceable old clunker will get you to where you're going and back again just as well as a luxury car, so why do they even make luxury cars? What's even the point of them? Most of the people I know don't drive luxury cars, they drive sensible and practical vehicles.

Why would anyone ever possibly buy a luxury car for $X when they could buy something serviceable for far less than $X?

So, the point of an iPad Pro is to be purchased by people who want one, for reasons practical or otherwise.

If you really think about it, and to extend your logic a bit, the bulk of what lots of people do (email, messaging, web surfing, casual gaming) could be done on a cheap Android tablet from Walmart or even a cellphone, so what's the point of an iPad -- any iPad -- at all?

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I haven't owned an iPad in over 5 years. I travel extensively and refuse to do anything personal on my work computer. I wanted something small and light I can take with me on business trips that could serve as a "personal computer" / entertainment device while on the road. I'm a one-bag traveler so weight is a huge factor for me. I'm forced to schlep my 20 million ton HP crapbook for work, but I trim weight on everything else.

I just ordered an iPad pro 11 (the M2 one) but was debating between:
  • Do I get last year's model? Discounts I found were only $50 off, not worth it
  • Do I get last year's 12.9 for a $200 discount on Amazon, tempting... but I ultimately am worried about the added weight and bulk for travel.
  • Do I get an Air like I did for my kids. Very capable device and would probably have covered most of my needs.
  • Mini is tempting, but as I get older, I've found my arms are too short for the mini screen size.
Ultimately I went for the Pro edition because, wifi 6E, and a bit more horsepower will be helpful, especially when I hook up to external monitors while working in remote offices/hotel rooms. Also, I've never had a promotion display and think I'll enjoy that. I find the faceID to be a nice quality of life upgrade over the touchID implementation on the air as well.
It was a tough decision though and I think the M1 Air would have probably been fine for my needs.

All that said, I'm still kindof on the fence and may cancel my pre-order if I find a better deal on an old unit, or if I change my mind and go for a 12.9 inch size.

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
None of my family/friends own an iPad Pro but I've met a number of customers/colleagues that have one. I asked what they use them for and they use them for....... Browsing, Social Media, Drawing, Colouring, Reading, Streaming Shows.

You left off gaming. Some of my games will get completely bogged down on my 9.7" IPP but my 2018 IPP still handles them like a champ.

I bought an iPad Pro in 2018 when it got the redesign with the 2nd gen Apple Pencil and smart keyboard. At the time, there really wasn't any other alternative if you wanted great performance and longevity.

This right here. Plus I don't want an iPad without Face ID.

Malcy16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
I haven't owned an iPad in over 5 years. I travel extensively and refuse to do anything personal on my work computer. I wanted something small and light I can take with me on business trips that could serve as a "personal computer" / entertainment device while on the road. I'm a one-bag traveler so weight is a huge factor for me. I'm forced to schlep my 20 million ton HP crapbook for work, but I trim weight on everything else.

I just ordered an iPad pro 11 (the M2 one) but was debating between:
  • Do I get last year's model? Discounts I found were only $50 off, not worth it
  • Do I get last year's 12.9 for a $200 discount on Amazon, tempting... but I ultimately am worried about the added weight and bulk for travel.
  • Do I get an Air like I did for my kids. Very capable device and would probably have covered most of my needs.
Ultimately I went for the Pro edition because, wifi 6E, and a bit more horsepower will be helpful, especially when I hook up to external monitors while working in remote offices/hotel rooms. Also, I've never had a promotion display and think I'll enjoy that. I find the faceID to be a nice quality of life upgrade over the touchID implementation on the air as well.
It was a tough decision though and I think the M1 Air would have probably been fine for my needs.

All that said, I'm still kindof on the fence and may cancel my pre-order if I find a better deal on an old unit, or if I change my mind and go for a 12.9 inch size.
Nice, Hope you enjoy it!

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
I actually am going to replace my 16" M1 Max MBP with an iPad Pro 12.9 M2 for mobile adventures, as it will be easier to move and use, and then get a Mac Pro or updated Studio when they drop soon. I only move my MBP away from the desk maybe 20 times per year, and because of that leave it charged too much. I feel a desktop and iPad makes a better solution for me, instead of a MBP.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Hence why I asked friends, family, colleagues and customers?
Did you ask those who bought a pro why they did? Or did you simply ask what they did with it?
You said you don't understand why someone may buy a pro for "Browsing, Social Media, Drawing, Colouring, Reading, Streaming Shows." but you never even considered that a bigger screen would give you a better experience (and for streaming also better speakers), maybe because for you portability is a bigger priority that screen real estate. That's what I meant.
I don't think that it has to do with luxury or Ferrari to the supermarket. I mean I am sure there are exceptions but I believe for many it's mainly a matter of utility...

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2022
So I can draw like this with the smooooothnesss.

👊😝👍
1666278554343.jpeg

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I use my 12.9 iPad Pro as a laptop replacement- whilst still maintaining a Mac mini. Works great I’m a photographer and the extra screen size and extra power is great for editing, tethering and maintaining my business. It has uses which far outstrip what a laptop can do in many situations, and any work I need a traditional computer for is handled by my Mac in person or by remoting in via jump. The small size compared to a 16” mbp (which would be what I would have to replace the Mac mini+iPad combo I use currently as I don’t want to maintain two macs) is perfect for carting around.

The base, mini or Air versions have less ram and screen tech, and I value those above everything else.

Malcy16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
I use my iPad Pros as a laptop replacement- whilst still maintaining a Mac mini. Works great I’m a photographer and the extra screen size and extra power is great for editing, tethering and maintaining my business. It has uses which far outstrip what a laptop can do in many situations, and any work I need a traditional computer for is handled by my Mac in person or by remoting in via jump. The small size compared to a 16” mbp (which would be what I would have to replace the Mac mini+iPad combo I use currently as I don’t want to maintain two macs) is perfect for carting around.
Nice, I had a work computer before the pandemic so I used my iPad Air with a keyboard for my personal computer. I enjoyed it but when I wanted to use any Adobe applications I missed my MacBook.
Always wanted to get into photography - At the moment I use my iPhone and edit through the inbuilt editor on the photos app on iPhone.
I can get lightroom and photoshop but not really sure what to do to edit haha, maybe I can learn sometime

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Nice, I had a work computer before the pandemic so I used my iPad Air with a keyboard for my personal computer. I enjoyed it but when I wanted to use any Adobe applications I missed my MacBook.
Always wanted to get into photography - At the moment I use my iPhone and edit through the inbuilt editor on the photos app on iPhone.
I can get lightroom and photoshop but not really sure what to do to edit haha, maybe I can learn sometime
Lightroom is great, particularly on iOS. Nothing really comes close to it, though there are other good apps. It’s extremely easy to learn really, just grab some images and spend the afternoon paying with it and you’re done.

There are some great image editing apps on iPadOS also- again LR is definitely at or near the top for ease of use and results. The extra power (particularly the extra ram) and the large screen size helps a great deal with editing.

Reactions: Malcy16 and 1557750

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Photo editing for me, I am planning on learning video editing in the near future especially with Davinci Resolve coming to the iPad soon. I actually hardly use my MBP now since upgrading to a 12.9" iPad (originally had an 11" pro) and I gave the mini to my daughter.

For me it is nice to have the screen size paired with desktop mode for internet browsing it doesn't seem to make webpages "fit" like it does for say like iPhone or even sometimes the 11" iPad depending on the website.

The pro being able to get to a nice brightness and have a really color accurate screen with the M1 Pro having the XDR screen at a fraction (comparably) of the cost and with pretty much no noticeable lag while editing

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
This. This is my exact workflow. A windows laptop mandated by my employer and an iPad Pro (albeit 12.9) for personal usage.

Doing personal stuff on a work laptop is a no go for me and lugging around two laptops is not ideal either.

I love my iPad and I often find it crosses over into my work life (teams, calls, etc).

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
The point of an iPad Pro is to incorporate all of Apple's latest technical refinements together in a device at a higher price-point. In theory this would make it the most profitable item for Apple.

From a user standpoint maybe you don't need the latest and greatest or maybe you're just more comfortable spending less. Either way Apple surely makes an iPad that is just right for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.