What's the point of a pre-order?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MooseBlood, Jun 19, 2009.

1. MooseBlood macrumors member

Obviously AT&T and Apple had phones for walk-ins today. What is the point for those of us who ordered over a week ago? We know they were shipped in the time since we ordered if we ordered that long ago. Now walk-ins are getting their phones and we aren't.

Why wouldn't AT&T assure fulfillment of ALL pre-orders and instead have no phones for walk-ins or limit those numbers? This is amazing to me. The point of pre-ordering was to assure a phone ON TIME.

Instead AT&T used it as a way to guarantee MORE customers, because they shafted a bunch of pre-orders, now they won't let us cancel. Plus they diverted so many phones into the stores for non pre-orders that they effectively doubled the sales by not following through on their end of the bargain. Where's the class-action lawsuit going to take place? Some lawyer will get rich off of this one I'd bet.

2. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

preorders from apple.com to your house was the best way to go.

3. gowanis macrumors 6502

i didn't pre-order. i called my apple store today (Freehold, NJ) and they told me they would not sell any phones to walk-ins until tomorrow morning, provided there are any pre-orders left that were not picked up on 6/19.

4. aerospace macrumors 6502a

At the AT&T store I went to preorders got to skip to the front of the line and everyone else had to wait. When all preoders were done the rest got to go in 1 at a time. I was first in line but before I got in 4 preorders walked up and went in.

By 8:30 they were out of 16g white, by 9 both 16g were out and they had 2-3 of the 32g left. Did get what I wanted though, black 32(writing this post on it)

1 customer said he went to the apple store and thier que looked like Disney world, around the building.

5. MooseBlood thread starter macrumors member

I am on a business plan. I had to go through premier. I did everything within the time frame they said I had to do it in.

I realize some stores are holding some back even if non pre-orders can't get them today. Doesn't that tell you that they didn't take care of pre-orders first? Very suspicious to say the least.

I pre-ordered well before anything was officially allocated to stores (meaning shipped out and in their hands). So this whole thing makes no sense.

6. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Maybe the point was to not have to leave your house?

7. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I am pissed at AT&T myself. They went for the CHEAPer shipping and since my phone was marked for delivery today it sat in Honolulu since 6:40 AM yesterday and was not sent to the local UPS site.

They did send it in the night but it has been on the truck for delivery since 6:39 am today (5 hours). I called the local AT&T to ask about UPS shipments and before I had a chance to ask was told they had plenty of phones in stock.

I asked when they usually get their UPS shipments and it was lots of attitude and "Why do you want to know?" I said that UPS had my phone on the truck. It then took a few more minutes to be able to tell me that UPS comes between 2 and 3. This is a pain because local UPS does home delivery no earlier than 2 because they do all of the businesses first.

I wonder if my phone was marked with less priority because I showed no interest in the $50 sandproof case the salesman was pushing.

8. MooseBlood thread starter macrumors member

That's fine. They can at least hold back enough phones for the orders that were given OR give me a day that they will ship it. Thus far I've gotten neither.

I could have spent all of my phone time where I was trying to iron this out in line somewhere. But...... it just shows the sheer incompetence of AT&T (ok, it wasn't incompetence.. in my mind it was highly unethical, because I think they were fully aware of what they were doing.

9. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I think the per-store allocation was set up between AT&T and Apple long before the 3GS was even announced. You were allowed to pre-order from what was left...not the other way around. Plus, no one made you pre-order. You could have waited in line with the rest.

As for the "class-action lawsuit", not a chance. What are you going to tell the judge, "I couldn't spend my money exactly when I wanted to. They made me wait!" Good luck with that.

10. MooseBlood thread starter macrumors member

I can see you failed to either read what I wrote, misread what I wrote, or are just trying to be rude. So I'll re-iterate my points for you in a more clear way I hope.

1- I never said I was filing a class action. That's moronic. I said that I can see that there are lawyers who would go for that because some people got screwed over. It happens ALL THE TIME. I've gotten class action letters no less than 15 times in my adult life that dealt with AT&T, T-mobile, Qwest, Vonage, Directv, Comcast, and several other telecomms and information providers for things that were smaller and way more insignificant than this.... and a lawyer pocketed a LOT of money off of each of them.... the consumer ended up with nothing (or maybe a $5 credit or something else equally stupid). I can see that this is one of those times where a law firm may hop on to it and run with it in hopes of getting a settlement of some sort for a CLASS OF CONSUMERS. Read it a few times slowly and you might see that. I don't foresee myself or anybody else that would be involved in a class action standing in front of a judge saying anything... as it isn't small claims court or Judge Judy.

2- No.... I really couldn't go to the store and do it and "wait in line with the rest" as you put it. I am on a company plan and my work makes me do things through the premier site online. That is their policy. If I want a phone via AT&T... I have to do it online or through premier phone support. When I called in they told me to place my order online. I did that. No phones. No answers as to why my order never processed completely to the point of shipping my product.

3- I did EXACTLY what AT&T told me to do within the date range they told me to do it in order to have 2 phones shipped to me BY today at the latest, and they still can't tell me where my order is or even IF it will ship within the time period specified. They only say it is backordered and will not be shipped today and to call back in 14 days if I haven't heard anything. Yes.... 14 days.

So my question is.... what was the point of getting an order in by a certain date if that really didn't matter and didn't guarantee people anything? I understand that I'm getting a different price per month (which is nice, but really it is fairly insignificant), but I'm a customer all the same and AT&T didn't tell me that they reserve the right to just send me my product whenever they darn well feel like it because I happened to be on a company plan. As a matter of fact... the page said stuff that was quite different (like order by the 13th, which I did, and you will have the phone on the 19th... which I don't). According to their page I'd have my phones today. They aren't here.

So my question is... what is the point of doing pre-order? Apparently you don't know, but you do have plenty of snide answers to throw at me that don't address my situation in the least, but rather are aimed at trying to make me look like bad for asking a question. Thanks for your time.

If AT&T had a simple glitch and let me know what it was and what they were going to do about it I'd be fine. Instead they act like they are doing me a big favor by taking my money. That's poor business.