What's the point of a tablet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arjen92, Sep 2, 2009.

1. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

*I'm sorry if there's already such a thread. Please point me to it then.*

Why would apple make a tablet? I don't see the benefits. Wow, you can touch it with your fingers, but that's only neat when you don't need to do a lot of work. So the iphone and ipod touch are enough for touch things.

The only place I can think that needs touchscreens are the industrie (scanners, checking postages, running maintenance on robots etc) and some photoshopping etc.

But for both is a "solution", for the industrie are way cheaper, more specified products. Apple would sail another course if they made something for that, than they sail now. And for our photographers you have wacom (or another brand) boards with screens in it.

So what would be a hole in the market where apple is focusing on. Cause I don't see one. I truly don't :eek:, so if you know, please tell me.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It would be a new media device. I am not sure there is any more of a point of the Apple Hi-Fi or Airport Extreme Base Station.

Sure it does not fix a problem, but some people love them.

3. arjen92 thread starter macrumors 65816

arjen92

True.

But I wonder whether it is portable enough. Maybe. Good point though, I have to think about that.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The majority of Apple products are released and are generally a success (few things aside). They would generally not release something which does not have the ability to be a major success.

Put your faith in Steve Jobs:D

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

I way to expand on multi-touch. You could really do some interesting things with a larger palette.

6. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Portable enough?:eek: It's rumored to be smaller than the Air...:)

7. MacMur macrumors regular

I would like it if it were a viable e-reader along the lines of the Kindle DX but with much better Internet access. Then I might be able to eliminate carrying 2 machines.

8. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

reading e-books, browsing the internt and watching videos for hours. That's most of it.

9. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I have the exact same question as the OP - what is the market niche that is not being filled by:

iPhone
    MB
    MBA
    MBP

Where does a tablet fit in? If I have to carry my iPhone anyway for phone function, and a tablet will be too large to sub for a cell phone, I would simply use my MBP for movies / photography, client demonstrations, etc. A tablet will not be able to replace my MBP for heavier lifting functionality - ???

I will NOT carry an iPhone, tablet and a MBP > what is the niche?

10. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

People who just need to have the latest and the greatest:rolleyes:. I think that's the niche.:)

11. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

Well if it runs full OSX and comes with a pen... Then then i'd be content to have it for drawing and art. Right now I use my iMac and my Cintiq... and i want a 13" Macbook Pro.... But i'd be stoked to have a apple tablet - like a modbook - at a reasonable price.

12. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Just give me a 13" uMBP and I'd be more than happy and never ask for a tablet.

13. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Carrying the entire apple line up with you is not mandatory. Some people will just have the tablet, some people just have an iphone.

It doesn't have to fit somewhere between other apple products. Just target a market. And it does. Personally I don't have an iphone since all I use my phone for is talk.

14. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

as far as there being a hole in the market? 3 years ago would you have said there was a hole in the cell phone market? would you have said "the thing that is missing in phones is a touch screen interface that uses my finger instead of a stylus, and full ipod capabilities that can surf the internet just like my computer." probably not. you probably would have said the last thing we need is another phone maker, we have plenty of options that do what we need them to do. however , the iPhone has grown to be the most popular handset in the world.

Apple has a legacy of innovating things that no one ever thought of needing or wanting. however, once they are released they become the most coveted gadgets around.

a tablet wont be for everyone, just like the air. but there will be people who will buy it to supplement their current systems.