Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
bigger, typically faster hard drive. larger display, and not everybody needs or wants the portability of a laptop.

timestamp

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
What a pointless post.

Now that PCs are so prevalent, I don't see the point in buying a Mac.

Anyhow, for all the reasons above I think desktops are better than notebooks. I will never spend $2000 on a notebook. It makes no sense to me.

trule

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Now that laptops are so popular, I dont see the point of getting a desktop anymore.

For those of us who don't want a computer following them around the house/office a desktop is a good way to limit computer activities to a single location.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
When you work from home, need more than 4 Gb of ram and don't really want to be squinting at a small screen, I'm afraid a desktop is the only answer .. :cool:

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
More power for less money.

And ease of expandability.

and more expandable/upgradeable; therefore a longer life.

bigger, typically faster hard drive. larger display, and not everybody needs or wants the portability of a laptop.

Exactly :)

When I got my iMac, a MacBook Pro with the same specs would have been over $1,000 more, and still would have had a graphics card with less memory.

erummel

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2007
York, United Kingdom
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my MBP, but I'd rather have a desktop. Unfortunately I need the portability, although there's not much that's portable about a 17" notebook. I find it amusing that so many people want a laptop v. a desktop, when they don't actually need to move the thing around on a daily/weekly basis. But then again, most people are dumb and want one because it's 'cute' or 'cool' and are willing to pay an exorbitant premium for, in all respects, an inferior machine...

Just my 2p

jihad the movie

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2003
Smugtown, NY
I purchased my G5 in April of 2004, and I purchased my Powerbook in Fall of 2005. My Powerbook has shown the greatest slow down between the two of them, and is probably the closest to being replaced. I don't plan on replacing my G5 until well after 10.6 comes out, but I will probably purchase a new laptop within the next year or so.

So we're looking at possibly 6 years on the G5, and about 3-4 for the Powerbook.

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
scalability. also, new technology is often deployed on a desktop first before having a laptop version, which is often more expensive.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
In my case, I will have a laptop and a desktop. The laptop is portable for when I am on the go. However, the desktop will be more powerful, and more expandable.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I like being able to sit at a desk and use my iMac. It's also much easier to type on a desktop keyboard (yes I know you can get one for a laptop too) and look at a larger display. The MacBook Pro tops out at 17", and the iMac is 24". I know most people prefer looking at a larger screen. It guess it comes down to personal taste.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
Speed,

desktop cpus are way faster (quad core vs dual core low power)
HDDs 2.5" Vs 3.5", no laptop drive can spin at 10K RPM yet there are tons of desktop drives that can
HDD redundancy, you cannot have raid 0/1/5/10/50 on a 15" laptop 17" will only do 0 or 1
multiple burners, most laptops cannot have multiple burners
HTPC, using a desktop comptuer as an HTPC is alot better than a laptops since most laptops do not have Optical out, HDMI/DVI,
gaming, ppl want a full sized KB, a FAST video card and a good mouse
the video cards in laptops are way slower than desktops since they are designed for mobility and low power consumption rather than raw processing power.
upgradability, you can only upgrade a laptop so much before its maxed out, with a desktop you can change any component easily, although you can change most components in laptops
reliability, desktop components should be more reliable since they dont move and get bumped around. also cooling is alot better, HDDs are more reliable if they are kept at 20C rather than 40C

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
reliability, desktop components should be more reliable since they dont move and get bumped around. also cooling is alot better, HDDs are more reliable if they are kept at 20C rather than 40C

True, I never thought of this. I've had a couple of laptop hard drives die out on me before. Chalked it up to bad luck, not heat. Good call.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
I always find notebook performance underwhelming next to comparable desktops.

For instance, my 2.0GHz Core Duo 1GB MacBook was blown out of the water by my 2.0GHz Core Duo 1GB iMac, the only difference really being a graphics card. I think it's down to laptop parts being chosen for their portability, heat management and energy efficiency and rather than their power. Desktops don't really have the same sorts of worries so can run using more taxing components.

There's definitely still a place out there for a good desktop.

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
Another reason some might overlook...

I've had nothing but laptops for the last 6 years, which has been great for school, but it's a real pain when you have multiple USB devices that you're constantly having to attach and detach every time you take the laptop anywhere. There's been way too many times where I came up with a little melody that I wanted to record in Logic Express, but just didn't feel like pulling out my iMic, plugging the amp and speakers into it, plugging in my USB midi controller, and plugging in my external display (since Logic is a pain on my 14" iBook monitor). And then I have to turn around and unplug it all to go to class (use the iBook for note taking)

Call me lazy if you want, but I'm looking forward to an iMac just to be able to have everything plugged in and ready to go whenever I am. I'll gladly relegate the iBook to a glorified notepad for class and use the iMac for everything else.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
I love this topic, as I am debating the same thing in my head... My iMac G5 is getting kinda sluggish & will either get a 15" MBP or a 20" iMac... now the hard drive capacity/speed, and screen size are issues i've thought of, but what I DIDN'T think of was first of all the iMacs & MBP's use the same processor, no? Or is it slower/lower power than the iMac... I always assumed the iMac was laptop parts (more or less) in a desktop form... Also the graphics card issue... are they slower/lower powered than the iMacs as well? If anyone can clear those 2 points up, that would be great!

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
for my needs a notebooks power is easily enough. and i like to take it with me to my GF's place, work, travel. about half the time i use it as a desktop with an external monitor/keyboard/HDD.

That's where i really miss a docking station. ideally i would want a desktop and a notebook, but that's too expensive. so i'm stuck with the notebook (and an emac for surfing and email).

so even if notebooks are powerful enough people would still buy a desktop in addition to a notebook.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Kids

I would never have gotten another desktop, for mysef, but I got an imac for the family room so the kids can use it with a bit of supervision. A kid does not need to have the "privacy" of a laptop.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Portables are too delicate and even more so as they continually get faster and smaller. They can become uncomfortable after a long period of use because you have to look down on a screen and the keyboards are smaller and heat etc.

Desktops give you expandability, faster HDDs, comfortable keyboards and mice, bigger better looking screens etc

I used to be a laptop person (still am somewhat) but i found they gave me headaches for the most part. I had to worry about battery, heat/ventilation and screens were not as good as desktops etc which is why i bought an iMac after selling my MBP and have been very happy with it. Its comfortable to use and its blazing fast.

In an ideal world both should coexists. One for use when you get home and doing all the heavy lifting and the other for on the go computing.

goldenlotus

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Mac Pro user here:

I enjoy having a workstation, and I don't mean just the class of computer. I mean the entire arrangement of my computer setup.
I like the ability to run more than 2 monitors.
I prefer a hard line internet connection.
I prefer SATA drives to external FW.
I've got an iPod Touch for mobile internet.

I guess that about does it.

I actually prefer trackpads though, I've got an Addesso which is alright. I'd love a cool new usb multitouch trackpad from Apple but don't think that's too likely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.