What's the point of jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by rockers123, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockers123 macrumors newbie

What is the point of jailbreaking the ipod touch 2g (if u downgrade the software)? Can't you already download free and paid apps from the app store on itunes without jailbreaking? What extras do u get with jailbreaking the ipod?

2. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

That would be funny, had people not already done it before. Can't you just tell him to search the forums or something? Or, better still, answer his question?

The only real benefit of jailbreaking now is to get custom wallpapers,docks, the slider and other minor tweaks to the UI. There's no real point now that iTunes offers a range of apps.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats the thing. it has been answered...many times...

this question comes up daily

why should there be a need to reanswer it if theres already adequate threads that answer it throughly?

forums are not a substitute for basic searching. forums are great for discussions and technical questions that arent easily found via searching google

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I can understand the question but the question itself shows not initiative on the OPs behalf.
    The google links will provide far more info and the user will be able to book mark as necessary.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Jailbreak is on the grey area of the law. It, under certain circumstances, is illegal. You can get access to apps Apple banned, such as NetShare. PDANet, customizaton, themes, you can basically change the appearance. That is why some ppl crave jailbreaking.

6. Sir iPod macrumors newbie

Sir iPod

Jailbreaking is stupid. Don't do it. It can mess up your iPod if you do something wrong. And in some circumstances its illegal

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, why, no it can't, no it's not; do some actual research.

8. akbc macrumors 6502

LOL! I didn't know such thing exists. Finally I can actually link something to my friends who asks the simplest things =_=...

It is not stupid

Well, I guess that's why the OP is seeking advice

For people who cannot follow simple instructions. DevTeam creates such nice GUI for people who can't follow instructions

It is not illegal, Apple just don't take the responsibility of the product that has been unlocked/jailbroken. You do NOT go to jail for jailbreaking.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yes it can be. In some instances, people with jailbroken devices modifya certan file within iTunes and the iDevice so that they can get cracked (pirated) apps that are usually sold for on the App Store as paid apps. I have seen my friends do it so I can confirm it's not myth or fantasy. This is illegal. But, jailbreaking to get themes, customizations, tweaks to the GUI and whatnot is not illegal but will void your warranty should something go wrong (brick or irreparable damage). Just because you don't go to jail for jailbreaking/modifying that certian file on an iDevice, doesn't make it legal.

10. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

Question: Is jailbreaking illegal?

Answer:
    If we go by your standards:

Question: Is going outside illegal?

Answer:
    So no, jailbreaking is not illegal.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ Well here's my question. Is pirating illegal? If it is, it invalidates your previous "argument" with dumb and fake "evidence". Jesus Christ, do you have any sense of what theft is? Stop trolling around and changing the topic. Get back to the facts that are real and not some garbage that sounds like it came from some little kid.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, pirating is illegal, but jailbreaking is not pirating, and not everyone who jailbreak does it to pirate apps. If you jailbreak just to get custom themes or to get better control over the iPhone OS, then it's not illegal.

As for why one might want to jailbreak -- in addition to custom themes, it also gives you access to apps like SBSettings, which allows you to toggle many system settings on/off with just a swipe of your finger, and there are various jailbreak apps that allow you to search for your installed apps (forgot where you put your tip calculating app? just type "tip" and it finds it!) or search Safari bookmarks or your contacts list. There are also apps like Categories, which allows you to create folders to organize your apps. These are actual useful functions not available to unjailbroken Touch/iPhones.

13. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

arrgh

Well here's my question. Is killing illegal? If it is, it invalidates your previous "argument." Jesus Christ, do you have any sense of what murder is? Stop trolling around and changing the topic. Get back to the facts that are real and not some garbage that sounds like it came from some little kid.

Killing is something that could happen because one went outside.
    Pirating is something that could happen because one jailbroke their iDevice.

Not everyone who goes outside kills people.
    Not everyone who jailbreaks their iDevice pirates.

Killing people= Illegal. Pirating copyrighted software = illegal
    Going outside= Legal Jailbreaking an iPod- Legal

thus jailbreaking = legal duh

14. Bennethon macrumors newbie

if this is a question that comes up daily, then there should be a stickied thread with an explanation. This is my first time in this subforum, and I have to admit, the question "what is the point of jailbreaking?" was the first to come to mind. Low and behold, there was a thread with that exact title at the top of the page. Unfortunately, it was this thread, where everyone decided to be jerks instead of answering the question.

15. dnguyen macrumors regular

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Since the OP has disappeared now for more than 10 days without replying, and since the question was addressed in detail by the first few posts, I'm going to go ahead and close this. The argument over whether Jailbreak is illegal... has already been done, is a waste of time, etc, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.