What's the point of Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacMadeInHeaven, Feb 22, 2011.

1. MacMadeInHeaven macrumors member

I am confused by the word Pro? I am a writer and I use my Macbook just for writing, sending emails and surfing the net. The only programmes I use really are MS Word, Outlook, Scrivener and Safari. I don't do gaming or watch videos etc. I am looking to buy a new Mac within the coming weeks and I am wondering if a plain old Macbook is good enough for me. What is the difference between that and a Macbook Pro? What are the advantages of the Pro?

Do you think Apple are trying to faze Macbook out?

2. Koning macrumors member

The normal MacBook (at least in the current setup) has only 2GB of RAM memory, which is a bit low nowadays (Pro has 4GB). Apart from that the MacBook Pro has a SD-card slot, backlit keyboard and it comes in aluminum, which makes the MacBook look way less 'used' after a few months/years and is better for cooling.

In my opinion you're crazy to save as little as 150 euro/dollar on a laptop that you will be using for several years, to go for the 'normal' MacBook.

3. MacMadeInHeaven thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. The difference is about £180 here in the UK. Do I need an SD slot? What is it for?:eek:

4. Leudast macrumors member

Think of it this way. You can buy a Nissan Altima, or a Lamborghini. Both will get you where you want to go, and realistically while the lambo is faster, you're still going to drive the speed limit to get there. However the lambo will get you some looks.

The difference is in the bells and whistles. The pro comes with: aluminum unibody, backlit keys, a little more ram, and I think the pro uses glass for the display while the regular MB doesn't.

They have approximately the same weight, and identical GPUs. (the 13" I mean, which I'm guessing is what you're comparing). So the difference is how cool you want to look while doing regular computer things. From what you said, a plain old macbook will be plenty good for you. I'd even suggest a ThinkPad because of the (you can bitch at me all you want FanBoys) better keyboard.

Also, don't let anyone convince you to buy the Pro because of the more 'rugged' body. You shouldn't be in a warzone with a mac anyways.

5. MacMadeInHeaven thread starter macrumors member

Great reply. Thanks! I am just interested in a decent workhorse that functions well for my purposes. I certainly don't need people to think I am cool etc. I know nothing about the Thinkpad by the way - do you have one?

6. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I don't know if they are going to phase out the Pro line but I do agree with you that the Pro name does not mean what it once used to.

As a university professor and owner of my own consulting business, the Pro line has moved from a more Professional market to a more consumer based market.

That isn't surprising since Apple has found fame and fortune in the consumer market and had pretty much given up on the business world. They have killed their XServer line and any hope of becoming a player in the backend business market.

I -personally- find it disheartening as I remember when there was a line between the iBook and Powerbook products. This seemed to transition into the Macbook/Macbook Pro branch but that has long eroded.

I think everyone here agrees that you can get a more powerful and technologically advanced notebook from other manufacturers. The build quality may not be as good as Apple (debatable when you look at Sony or Lenovo I think) but in the end you are paying for OS X, the Apple name, and perhaps the support. Even then, the support isn't business class (24 hour turn around time/on-site support) so I believe that is debatable.

I think this revision of the MBP line will not only be interesting but a gauge to judge where Apple is looking to take the technology. Obviously, the iOS line has really changed Apple's focus and where their income revenue stems from.

Cheers!
    -P

7. Leudast macrumors member

Thinkpad is a laptop line by lenovo. I used to have one because I wrote a bunch, and I liked the tactile feedback on their keyboards. They're also (relatively) cheaper and suuper durable. However, if you are a writer and are used to a macbook, I'm not sure how the transition would work for you. My motto is if you like what you're using, don't mess with it. Also like Pentad said, apple is mostly about OSX, so it does really boil down to what you're most comfortable with. Personally I'm gonna give the Pro a spin after the revision.

8. MacMadeInHeaven thread starter macrumors member

Another thought, I have a little Dell Inspiron 10 inch for when I'm on the road. It's perfectly good enough for typing stuff up. So maybe I should consider an IMac instead of another Macbook? It's years and years since I've owned a desktop!

9. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Nope they are not... You gotta remember there's a whole other sector than yours that actually need the extra processing power that the plain macbook doesn't contain.

I, being a photographer, would hate being forced to use a plain macbook for onlocation jobs. It would be too slow in every way.
    I imagine my colleagues in the graphic industry such as AD's, 3D guys and filmmakers would feel the same way.

The laptop line is assembled to satisfy the broadest amount of customers ranging from the amateur through the aspiring something to the hardcore pro. Which is perfect. Next time... just get a plain macbook if you only use it for writing, then there's one more in stock for me to grab :p

Edit: or even... get a cheap pc. If I was just writing on it, **** how it looks, save the money.

10. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Its all about marketing for apple. They have marketed the "pro" line to be better, even if it isn't in some instances.

Personally I prefer the looks of the aluminum rather than the white plastic. If Im going to be looking at something for hours everyday I want to enjoy looking at it. Especially for what we pay for these things.

11. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Battery life, processor and graphics speeds, physical construction, larger sizes.

12. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Lol wtf a macbook pro ain't no lambo brah

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I disagree.

I couldn't find a machine that has a profile similar to the 17" MBP with the same battery life and screen quality. What about magsafe? Who knows what the new one will have. At one point in time the MBP was the only machine on the block with the Core Duo processors (way back in 2006). Intel could have offered them something equal this time around.

OS X isn't so good that Apple can just pump out crap hardware and everyone would deal with it; else we would all run hackintoshes because there'd be no difference. And Apple wouldn't have released bootcamp either (because who'd by a mac for windozzz???)

14. terryblyth macrumors regular

I think the OP has a valid point. My MacBook that I bought in May 2007 is still going strong (apart from the battery).

I've upgraded the RAM and hard drive sure, but it's run Logic 9, Sibelius 6 and Reason 5 all together at the same time without any problems, as well as all the office-type stuff.

The only reason I'd consider moving "up" to a Pro would be for a 15"/17" screen.

15. alt macrumors regular

Well the bigger screen is a huge reason to want to upgrade IMO. A lot of peeps using these as their main computers and want a decent sized screen. Plus the plastic onez are ugly! :eek:

16. wct097 macrumors 6502

Yea, more like a Honda Accord compared to the Honda Civic that is the 'plain' MacBook. If you want to go exotic, like a Ferrari or Lambo, Apple really doesn't have anything to offer.

17. alt macrumors regular

Agreed. I am tired of people making this insane comparisons that make no sense.

18. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Haha, I would think Apple is a little above a Civic or Accord. Can we say a BMW at the least?

19. alt macrumors regular

More like a prius. just sayin'

20. wct097 macrumors 6502

1 series, I suppose. Perhaps Lexus... basically a Toyota that people buy at a premium to set themselves apart from others.

edit: And no.. not a sport version. Maybe an IS300.

21. jgwinnup macrumors newbie

macbook is to volkswagen as macbook pro is to audi...;)

22. wct097 macrumors 6502

Jetta & A4 respectively.

23. mr0c macrumors regular

mr0c

As some folks have pointed out, the "Pro" is able to be upgraded and provide a better system than the ordinary MB.

As your requirements are fairly low (not heavy graphic or video), you could get away with the MB - however there recent rumours are the whole range is due for updates, so hold off for a couple of weeks ;-)

If you're going to be travelling a lot and portability is a consideration, I'd also suggest the MB Air, a good deal can be found in the refurb store:
    http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air/13?mco=MjEwNTY3ODA

All refurbs are returns that have been checked and certified by Apple and come with the same new warranty, only cheaper :-D

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Netbook = Honda Civic (not SI), Hyundai et al

Mac(Book Pro) 15"/17" = BMW 7 Series, Jag, Maserati

Nothing ultra premium i.e. Maybach ; Bugatti.

25. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

These days, the only common factor to all the "Pro" Macbooks is the Aluminum Unibody.

So: Pro = Unibody

It`s just marketing, nothing more.