Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
While I understand the obvious fact that it puts it to sleep whenever possible, what's the point of this and why is it an aspect of better performance and not better energy savings in system prefs?

Quicksilver867

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Philly
Yeah, I don't get how putting the hard disks to sleep would yield better performance. When I had my iMac set to do that, it always took forever to wake from sleep.

Sherman Homan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
I think that the word "performance" in this case has to do with laptops, not desktops. Performance means better battery life, less chance of running out of juice. It is funny that from the perspective of a desktop machine it is illogical.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
I think that the word "performance" in this case has to do with laptops, not desktops. Performance means better battery life, less chance of running out of juice. It is funny that from the perspective of a desktop machine it is illogical.

I totally agree! Ironic also, that 85% of the time my MBP is, in effect, a desktop since it is power corded tethered most of the day.

Sherman Homan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
I totally agree! Ironic also, that 85% of the time my MBP is, in effect, a desktop since it is power corded tethered most of the day.

My laptop is almost always plugged in, too. And I have a desktop on the other side of the house that has a wireless connection. Apple needs to re-think some of their terminology!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.