Whats the point of Quad 7300GTs?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gav, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Gav macrumors regular

Hey all,

Just wondering, you know you can get Quad 7300GTs inside the Mac Pro... I was wondering, what would be the point? Is there a similar technology to SLI on PCs, do they work together?

Thanks,

Gav

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They are all independent (no SLI). It's for the very few who want to run 8 monitors!

3. Gav thread starter macrumors regular

Thought it might be actually. Strange how their is no mention of octo-monitors on the Apple site...

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The assumption from Apple is that if you are going to order a machine with 4 graphics cards you know what you're doing it for! Even if they operated in SLI, 4 7300s would only be a little faster than the ATI 1900 they offer and probably slower than an 8800 GTX...

I've never seen a functional 4 card SLI system even under Windows (unless you count the special 2-card cards)

Edit to add: on the store configuration page it does say "select a higher-performance card for more advanced graphics work, or add more than one card to power an array of displays simultaneously for visualization projects and large display walls."

5. Gav thread starter macrumors regular

:p I highly doubt anyone has ever gone for the quad cards and hooked them up to 8x APPLE displays. That would cost a frightening £29,355 for 4x 23" and 4x 30"

6. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

SLI Works under Windows on the mac pro!

Some guys over at Appleinsider got it working.

In OS X however, that's a big no-go.

7. LeviG macrumors 65816

Thats possible over the pci express bus on the lower cards, you only need the crossover patch with the faster cards, it was enabled in software a while back

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

9. awmazz macrumors 65816

One reason might be to have four colour-calibrated monitors. When you calibrate a monitor, you actually calibrate the profile per card. So running two monitors off one card means only one of the monitors can ever be calibrated at any one time.

I have two monitors running each off a separate 7300 so I can have both calibrated. The second DVI port on each card goes to waste, but that's the only way to do it as far as I know.

10. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead