Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I'm curious - why would Apple create such a feature? It seems pointless, given that Siri currently activates when connected to your car. All you have to do is press & hold the Call/Voice Control button and Siri will activate.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
When you press and hold the home button, and when you're looking at the screen of your phone, it's distracting you from your driving. They said something long those lines.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
When you press and hold the home button, and when you're looking at the screen of your phone, it's distracting you from your driving. They said something long those lines.

Once again, I don't see the point, as you can just as easily activate Siri by pressing and holding the "call" button, if your iPhone is connected to your car or a hands-free device.

schizbomb

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Texas
Once again, I don't see the point, as you can just as easily activate Siri by pressing and holding the "call" button, if your iPhone is connected to your car or a hands-free device.

This doesn't work in my Explorer, holding down the call button does not activate Siri for me.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
why don't you wait and see how the user experience is. We're not meant to understand it fully or Apple would be talking about Eyes Free more at this point.

LaazyEye

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
They said this feature would be present in future cars (unless i heard wrong and they're retrofitting it to present/past cars too). It's "eyes free" because you don't have to look for your phone, just press the talk button on your steering wheel. They're making it "eyes free" as well as "hands free".

Moe UK

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
London
In some countries it is illegal to touch your phone whie driving so eyes free keeps our hands on the steering wheel.

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
Because Ford has the sync system in its cars and Apple needs to get into this business. Sync operates from the steering wheel and thus does not require you to find your phone and look for the home button. It has the expected MS problems. Hopefully Apple can implement it better and your phone serves as the brains rather than having to buy them installed in the car. It also makes the system portable to any vehicle accepting the system.

Crap, if you don't like it don't use it. When did this bitch about anything and everything mentality invade our society?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

The point is to cut down on distracted driving and accidents. If you have to look down, take one hand off the wheel and find your iPhone then look for the button. You have removed your eyes from the road for at least 2 seconds. if on the wheel you keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

Also as pointed out in many states it is illegal to use your phone unless using a hands free device. As accident rates continue to rise attributed to distracted driving more states will adopt phone usage laws.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.