what's the point of the eject key??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Epiphron, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Epiphron macrumors regular

I have an external drive image on my desktop. when i highlight it and press the eject key for 1 second, it doesn't do anything. however i can drag it to the trash and it'll eject. This occurs for usb or anything that mounts. So what's the point of having a dedicated key then if it doesn't work for anything else besides disks? :confused:

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

The eject key is used only to eject disks. It makes more sense to have it on the keyboard rather then have it somewhere on the side where it's difficult to find. What else would they put there anyways? It would be nice if it would also eject hard drive disks, but it seems its only use now is ejecting disks.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

It's used to eject CD's/DVDs. That's the point of that key. If you had a CD in and you had an external drive attached, and you pressed the eject key, how would your Mac know which to eject?

What's the point of the "Y" key if all it does is type a "Y".;)

4. Epiphron thread starter macrumors regular

oh ok i guess that makes sense. the only reason i was kinda confused about it was because when you drag the drive to the trash, it says eject. But there's a key that also says eject. So i thought you would be able to use the eject key for the drive as well. ;)

5. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

If you want a keyboard shortcut to eject your hard drive, click on it and press Command + E.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Also for Macs with tray load optical drives, it opens and closes the tray, which I believe is the main reason for it.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Got it. ;)

8. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

lmao, thanks for pointing that out. I guess I should have said which types of disks I was talking about :D