What's the point of the up-vote system?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Mildredop, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I come here periodically and, very often, an interesting thread is already several pages long when I come across it. A good example is the one currently open about tattoos interfering with the Watch which is at 17 pages.

As I start reading, it's comment after comment like "tattoogate", "I wonder why?" and "It's Obama's fault." And then, of course, there's the tit-for-tat arguments between users.

As a viewer, it's difficult to get a flavour of the genuine comments, concerns and feedback without sifting through all the 420 comments.

And so to my idea - rather than the vote system being a pointless and arbitrary '+1', each thread should have a slider so it only shows comments with a certain number of votes or more. That way people's vote would count and the votes would have some use.

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I've seen some great posts that have no votes. However, my idea of "great post" will certainly differ from that of other users. I've also seen instances where two or three people will upvote each other's posts, even though none of them would classify as great posts to me. How would a slider help in that situation?

3. Scepticalscribe, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The problem with using 'yes votes' or 'up votes' as a means of adjudging a degree of worth in a post, is that the motivations behind giving an up vote vary so widely, and the 'quality' of debate or discussion can itself vary widely in different threads or sub-fora.

Some people will give an 'up vote' to a post they think a well argued, and thoughtful post. Others will do so merely to offer agreement to an individual post - even if all that particular post does is to express disagreement with an earlier post.

Depending on the sub-fora, some posts which succeed in obtaining a large number of approving up-votes may be…….devoid of merit. Now, granted, what one considers to be 'devoid of merit' is an entirely subjective opinion, but - for example - I am willing to wager that any post which mentions the name of the Founder in an admiring light ('Steve would have loved it', or, 'wonder what Steve would have thought') will - almost inevitably, as a matter of course, - be awarded a good many up-votes.

To sum up, I suspect that the reasons posts may receive up-votes has at least as much to do with the motivation of the person who clicked that up-button as it has to do with the merit of the post that receives a great many up-votes. There is of course some sort of co-relation between worth and number of up-votes; but I suspect that it is a lot less quantifiable than one might think……….

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

They post the popular comments on the actual news pages. But this is a message board, and it doesn't make sense to have that throughout every thread.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

The thing is that a lot of those "comment after comment like "tattoogate", "I wonder why?" and "It's Obama's fault."" type of posts end up getting a lot of up votes because people will find them "cool" or "funny" or "ironic" or something, which would kind of make the filtering by votes for the purposes of finding actual meaningful posts rather moot.

6. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

I guess you're right.

In conclusion, it seems the up vote system is ultimately pointless.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Depends on the thread. In the photo of the day thread, it shows how many people like your photo for example.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Without a down vote option, I agree.

9. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Hopefully the system will be adjusted to a more useful format when we transition to Xenforo.

10. Scepticalscribe, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

In theory, yes, but in practice, as seen on the fora until the down-vote option was abolished, I have to disagree.

The down vote button allowed for the development of a really nasty atmosphere in some of the threads and sub-fora, and becomes more an expression of a negative and nihilistic herd mentality than an expression of serious disagreement with, or dissent from, somebody else's post.

While I wouldn't especially mourn the departure of the 'up-vote' button, I have to say that I actively applauded the decision to put an end to the down vote button.

11. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Yeah! Like the top-comment list on youtube videos and the top comments on MR articles.

12. MYB macrumors newbie

Totally, disagree... If I read something that I don't agree with, I want to down vote it.... Like your comment :eek::eek::eek:... Sorry

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can disagree with it by replying and making a post explaining what it is you disagree with (and hopefully why).

14. LordVic macrumors 68040

I miss the down vote button.

Sometimes, someone posts something that is so absolutely braindead stupid and sheepish that even responding to them is pointless because they stick their fingers in their ears.

down voting on the other hand sometimes is a little nice "kick to the junk". enough down votes and sometimes, maybe, someone might realize their posts is stupid

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If that is the case for eliminating the down vote, why isn't it the same reason for eliminating the up vote.

If you agree with something you can reply and make a post explaining why you agree with it.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

I don't know if that's the case or not, but seems like it would make sense. As for up voting, yeah it can be done away for similar reasons probably. That said, agreeing with something doesn't require much of an explanation as it was already provided likely with what you are agreeing with, while that isn't the case when disagreeing with something.

17. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I use the up-vote system all the time. I also read the top comments on MR articles for entertainment. I wouldn't want the up-vote thing removed. :(

18. I7guy macrumors G5

Some car forums I've been on have a "like" or "thanks" button. And it lists the members who have pressed the button. A downvote button would be useful provided the members who pressed the button as listed as well. My $.02.

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The new forum software shows who upvoted.

[​IMG]

20. I7guy macrumors G5

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly.

The 'down vote' became an refuge for nihilistic expressions of negativity - and most who clicked on it never bothered to give a reason, or an argument why they did so.

I have to say that it contributed to the creation of a very negative atmosphere in some of the fora.
    Well, I suppose I would argue that is is simply negativity feeding on negativity. I think argument is better than what the down vote used to be - an anonymous expression of dissent, or disagreement, or sometimes, simply dislike.

Ah, that should be interesting.

22. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

MacRumors will be like those forums because MacRumors is switching to XenForo which is what PriusChat uses.

23. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

When?

24. I7guy macrumors G5

It has not been publicly said when the cutover will happen. But it is a noticeable difference and you will not miss this update.

25. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Soon. Probably June.