What's the Point of VOIP over 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by legaleye3000, Jan 28, 2010.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

VOIP over 3G would still cost minutes, right? I just want to know why people want this...? Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well, it is my understanding that it does not hit the minutes
    It works off the data plan
    But what do I know

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

No, it "costs" data. That is the advantage and eliminates the issue of "long distance".

4. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ahh ok- that IS cool... Thanks But if its Skype or a similar service, you still have to pay Skype at their per minute rate, right?

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It would not cost minutes, it would use AT&T data which is bulk flat rate. You'd still have to pay for a voip provider but these are typically far cheaper than an AT&T plan. It's also a great way to make international calls even if you keep your regular voice plan.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Skype to Skype calls are free and you can buy an unlimited US and Canada plan that cost $8.40 every 3 months - can't get much cheaper than that. The problem I have is that the quality over 3G is awful. I've tried to make outgoing calls using Skype exclusively but I always end up hanging up and calling the person back the regular way. I'm not sure why the quality is so bad but it's basically unusable for me. Maybe it depends on just how good the coverage is in your area.

7. pourme macrumors regular

pourme

Vonage only charges for international calls. Domestic calls are free. It has been my experience that their quality is first rate. At this time you cannot recieve incoming calls with Vonage.

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (JB3.1, unlocked): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Sure, but I'd much rather pay Skype's $0.03/min to call my friends back home than my carrier's $1.00/min ... ;)

9. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Skype is much cheaper if you're only interested in a US and Canada plan (not sure about their international rates since I have no use for it). Isn't Vonage like $24.99/month? Domestic calls may be free but you're still paying $24.99/month for the plan since it includes international calls. It's not like you can just make domestic calls for free without having some kind of plan.

10. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I doubt we'd see a completely free service to call cell and land lines but it would be cool. Skype is ok but both people have to be on it to be free which is kinda a PITA for regular use. I guess it would be ok if you talk to the other person a lot.

11. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Like I said earlier though, you can get the Skype unlimited US and Canada plan for $8.40 per 3 months - that's extremely cheap. If you only plan to use Skype with wifi, it's worth it. If they could figure out a way to make it work well over 3G though, you'd really have something.

12. jimf123 macrumors member

Just posted this on Fring forum, but maybe someone here can help...

Hi everyone, I wonder if you could clarify something. I'm an O2 iPhone customer here in the UK. I understand that we can now make calls over 3g using Fring and say a Skype out account and only pay Skype as unlimited data is included in the o2 call plan for the iPhone.

My question is, if I take my iPhone abroad and make the same Skype out call via Fring on the network as opposed to wifi, am I right in thinking I would pay the relevant O2 data charge as well as obviously the skype call charge, really meaning that the data charge would probably be more expensive than just making an old fashioned phone call bearing in mind how much data roaming when abroad costs...?

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

yes you would unless u found a wifi hotspot. But tbh the iPhone package on o2 includes a decent package for calling from overseas.

14. jimf123 macrumors member

Thanks for info Gav2k...

Jim

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I don't think this means what you think it does.

16. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Check out the icall app. It's free outgoing calls. Not too bad. To receive calls you need to be on a pay plan but it's pretty cheap.

17. TheEngineer macrumors member

FWIW, I've made 3G Skype calls and they sounded just fine. Perhaps your 3G signal wasn't strong for the ones you tried.

18. vwDavid macrumors regular

best part about fring is that it can use my VOIp providers SIP account and I can make VOIP calls from my iPhone using my home number and my VOIP long distance plan.

woot

19. psywzrd macrumors 68030

That may be true in certain situations but I've certainly tried it several times where I've had full bars and the quality was still bad. Wifi is great - I've just found that 3G is unusable and that's really the only time I would even need it.

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, Skype seems to be the cheapest out there right now. Vonage is a ripoff. My Comcast landline is cheaper than Vonage....:eek::eek::eek:

21. TheEngineer macrumors member

I have no doubt. I was just saying it's not 100% of the time.

22. Amatatomba macrumors newbie

What about Google Voice? I know you have to call a local Google Voice number to connect the call, but aside from the call to GV, does that cost minutes?

And how do GV, Skype and Fring compare?

23. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

The final goal i think for the jailbreak community is that Apple releases a "data only" iphone plan ( no voice)

With a jailbroken phone running Google Voice you get Infinite minutes and text messages ( using your google voice number)

Best of all text and calls from a google phone work exactly like they should on a regular phone + you get a record of everything kept online

24. Amatatomba macrumors newbie

You have to jailbreak to use the web app? Or are you talking about an actual app?

25. couto27 macrumors 6502

how much data cost in voip over 3g

i have a vodafone pay as you go dongle 1gb/ 15£

im tinking to buy a mifi - 3g to wireless to use with iphone

my question
    i wonder how many minutes of conversation using voice over 3g - skype -skype i will have with 1gb of data.

just talking minutes with 1gb data.

i just need to compare if voice over 3g is expensive than my roaming calls

thanks