What's the preferred RESET method without lost to apps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ET iPhone Home, Jul 15, 2012.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I have a 2011 MBA (my first Apple product). I've reset this as new a couple times. But I'm curious, now that I have Office for Mac installed (fully purchased with license - 1 license/1user), what's the best method of resetting the MBA without losing Office for Mac and other future installed programs?

Has anyone experience Microsoft allowing to re-dowload Office provided you can provide them a license?

THANKS!!!

2. MacBird macrumors 6502

If you have a Time Machine backup, Office and other programs will be installed after the clean install (is this what you mean by resetting?) and importing all programs and settings. When I did this the last time, Office worked right away.

3. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

4. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

My apologies, Restore as new without loosing any installed applications.

(I was over at the iPhone forum inquiring about iPhone reset. Did not mean to use "reset" to ask my question here about restoring.)

----------

Sorry, I meant RESTORE.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why are you restoring your Mac? Many do this when it isn't required. What are you trying to accomplish by restoring your Mac?

6. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

If you do a full restore from a TM backup, all you will have to do is enter the Office activation code upon first start up.

7. MacBird macrumors 6502

Last time I did not even have to enter the key for Office.

8. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm trying to free up the storage space, the yellow bar. Every time I transfer/backup files or music to an external without trace on the MBA, the bar doesn't reflect the change. It only gives me the free space if I restore. I have the 128SSD, so I need to manage storage well. And I don't want to loose Office for Mac, which I just bought.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

10. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Thanks. I saved the activation code just in case I needed to call Microsoft. I just didn't want to hassle with them over the phone just in case I later plan to do a restore and erase OFFICE completey. Thanks.

----------

• Thanks GGJstudios. This may be what I'm doing wrong. I usually have my MBA on SLEEP and seldom Shut it Down or restart. Will try this the next time I backup. THANKS!!!

11. theSeb, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I assume you're checking in the Storage tab of About This Mac by your reference to a "bar"?

If so, bear in mind that this screen does not change instantaneously. It uses your spotlight index so you'll need to rebuild it or give it a chance to run automatically in the background when your Mac is not busy.

To rebuild your Spotlight index:

Open Terminal.app (Applications --> Utilities)

type
    Code:

sudo mdutil -E

Hit enter, then type in your password when prompted and hit enter again. This will kick off the rebuild, which can take some time depending on how much storage space you're using. You can check the progress by clicking on the Spotlight hour glass icon in the top right corner. The Storage tab is a very rough guide to how much space you're using and I recommend not worrying about it, since it includes stuff like Local revisions and delayed TM backups that will be cleared up by the OS, as necessary.

A better way to check your available space is to open a finder window, make sure that your Status Bar is visible (It's in View menu Show Status Bar). The status bar at the bottom of the Finder window shows the effective available space.

You're only wasting your time with this "resetting" business.

12. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Agree! I noted you recommendations. I appreciate it. THANKS!!!

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No problem.

14. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

If you have an external backup using the migration assistant for just applications worked for me. I just had to reactivate office, no big deal. They might make you call, but you call and get someone in India, no big deal.