What's the purpose of Firewire?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Warelin, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Warelin macrumors newbie

I've been debating on whether or not to buy a Macbook/Pro. After hearing the updates, I've been left in quite a jar.

I'd be using the Mac for occassional Photoshopping, listening to Itunes, word documents, surfing online and an occassional game of spore.

What would be recommended?

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I think the MacBook will do the job for you, although you might like the extra screen real estate.

FireWire is a standard used for connecting peripheral devices. It has a higher sustained transfer rate than USB (especially FireWire 800), so it is often preferred for things involving big files/a lot of files or speed critical stuff, like connecting camcorders, audio interfaces, and scratch disks for audio and video work.

3. Warelin thread starter macrumors newbie

So the Firewire has no effects over recording videos? I got a bit confused about its function after browsing the forums for a few hours today.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I'm a bit fuzzy on my digital camcorder formats and interfaces, go check with the people on the DV forum for that. You said you didn't do video editing though, so I didn't take that into account.

5. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Basically Firewire 400/800 are different versions of the USB -- I don't see what the big hoop-la is that they were omitted

but then again I never imported large HD videos to my Macbook that much, but when I did I felt that USB 2.0 was suffice.

Long story short -- you seem to be fine going with the Macbook route