What's the real difference?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by garrett3, Mar 19, 2008.

1. garrett3 macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me the realworld (read -"average, everyday user") difference will be between the current iMac and and the new penryn one that's due out "anytime"? Is it enough reason to wait?

Also, what's the rumored ("realworld" again) difference between Santa Rosa and Montevina for the MBP? Again should I wait?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Assuming that the only thing Apple changes is the chipset (that is, they don't add or adjust features like with the MBP refresh), it will be slightly faster and maybe draw slightly less power. That's probably the extent of it for a Penryn refresh to the average user. Since it's not a mobile computer, I doubt it's going to make a whole lot of difference unless they also make a significant change to the graphics card included--that's also possible.

The chance of an update wasn't enough to stop me from buying four current-model iMacs for work last week, though.

3. n1ght macrumors member

I agree. Penryn in the iMacs will be a small upgrade unless they bump graphics cards. Less heat and power along with single-digit percent increases in performance. Only significant increase would be video editing in programs optimized for the new processors.