What's The Scariest Movie You've Ever Seen?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by duncyboy, May 10, 2008.

1. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

The other night I watched this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REC_(film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/

It's filmed in a Cloverfield/Diary of the Dead/Blair Witch style. It's about a local, late-night TV show that films people doing night work. The show's title is "While We're Asleep". On this particular night they're spending the evening with the local firefighters who get called to an apartment building after a neighbour hears an old lady scream and they can't get her door open.

I won't give any more away but this is a heckuva scary film and extremely well made and thought out. It's a Spanish film with English subs. One thing that annoys me is they're doing an American language remake and it's completely unnecessary. I won't be watching the remake at all on principle- the ESP version is perfect and the subs don't detract in any way.

I watch horror's all the time- quite the desensitised loser to be honest!- but this film was damn scary and I nearly had a heart attack at times. It's a corker and I'd recommend it to anyone NOT of a nervous disposition.

So what's the scariest film you've ever seen and why? Is there any movie you've never watched all the way through? Every had a "brown pants" moment? :D

2. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

House of Wax ^^
    I'm scared ridiculously easily. After that movie I decided never to watch anything only slightly "horror" anymore at all :D

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Descent. It really played with my own claustrophobia.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

wow… the one with Paris Hilton… seriously? i wouldnt like to go and see this movie with you. (clip from the movie)

i dont really watch horror movies. the scariest one i saw was probably The Excorcist when i was 15. the movie wasnt that scary it was just afterwards when i was trying to sleep and couldnt stop thinking about that girl saying "IM THE DEVIL!" :eek:

and duncyboy did Steve Jobs really say that?

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Whadda baby. :p

7. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I'm not into horror films. Mostly because I just feel they are poorly done and more often than not rely on such insane irrationality on behalf of the characters to move the plot forward.

That said, scariest movie I've ever seen was 2001: A Space Odyssey. That movie freaked me out the first time I ever saw it. I finished watching it about 2a and had to walk around turning on all the lights in my apartment.

8. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

My scariest movie moment was way back when I first went to the theatre to see Jaws... The point where he was diving into the sunken cabin cruiser and a dead mans face suddenly pops up at you. I jump a foot!

9. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

It wasn't a movie but a TV show. The Twilight Zone episode where the mean stepfather was trying to destroy the little girls doll and couldn't. The little girl would pull the dolls neck string (high tech back in the early 60s) and the doll would say a number of different phrases like, "I love you", etc. When the stepfather picked it up and pulled the string it said things like, "you're mean... I hate you... and finally... I'm going to kill you".

The doll finally did kill him and it just scared me as I was just a little kid back in those days.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I saw Jaws when it originally came out.

I think everyone in the theater, including myself, jumped at that scene. It was funny sight to see.

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The only movie I had ever found scary was the original Alien. Otherwise "scary" movies, especially now a days, focus on grotesque special effects and atrocious acts rather than trying to build suspense.

Although I would say that War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise was pretty intense, just because it seemed somewhat plausible. However you had to see it in the theater on a TV it is pretty cheesy.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea that film got me too, it's nothing compared to the original film though. I couldn't watch that as a kid.

That and Return to Oz. The faces in the rocks was a bit horrific.

The Machinist also spooked me a bit too. It really does get across the feeling of being extremely tired, where things aren't what they seem. I was sleepy whilst watching it and just kept worrying thinking that "hey, maybe I'm like this guy right now".

13. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Alien 3, though back in high-school Taking of Pelham 123 kept me off buses for the longest time.

14. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

I find The Shining really scary - much scarier to me than modern horror such as the Saw series (meh...just lots of fake blood I felt).

But the Shining, gees.....those two little girls, and the scene with the bath.....:eek::eek::eek:

15. foidulus macrumors 6502a

surprised nobody said this

An Inconvenient Truth

16. viniciusc macrumors member

Definitely Shutter, the original one. I recommend it for everyone.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I just saw the Soulja Boy video.... *eek*

(runs and hides)

18. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

19. duncyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

20. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Is the American version called Quarantine? I saw a preview for that before 88 minutes. Didn't know it was a remake, I might check out the original because I was defo. intrigued.

Okay.... was I the only one who was completely freaked out by The Exorcist??? That terrified me for a bit.

So did Snakes on a Plane... but not in the same way, in a more what if I go pee and a snake jumps out at my di*k kind of way.

21. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i would like to say that this thread can remain G,and not bring back bad memories from my childhood, so lets not post any images or anything :) [please]

for me, they would have to be IT, Cujo, and Pet Cemetary.

22. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Lacking the usual "Blood & Guts", "The Woman in Black" is a good old fashioned ghost story. It scared the bejesus out of me ..... :eek:

23. duncyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's the one, yeah. I'd seen trailers for Quarantine online and didn't marry the two til about halfway through REC. I honestly, hand on heart, cannot see how they can improve the original.

I'd definitely recommend seeing the original version with subs :)

24. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Event Horizon scared the crap out of me at 1am when i watched it alone and for the first time. still creeps me out now.

25. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf