What's the secret to pre-ordering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by idealcheese, Sep 24, 2017.

1. idealcheese macrumors regular

Last year I set my alarm for 3 am to preorder the jet black 7+ but I got burned. I had pre-favorited the model I wanted to speed up checkout, but when it was supposed to go live all I got was a message that the store was updating and would be back online soon. I refreshed repeatedly and by the time I finally got in, most configs were already at 6-8 weeks shipping. I have no idea why I was not able to access the store while others were busy snatching up the supply.

Like a dumb idiot I plan on trying my luck again for the X because I don't want to wait months to get one. Are there any kind souls here who can spare some advice on the best tactics to snag an X when the mad rush begins? TIA!

2. FunkyTang macrumors 6502a

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Make sure your billing/shipping information is up-to-date. Make sure your credit card information is up-to-date. Preselect the iPhone that you want in your favorites.

I would suggest using the mobile application versus the desktop application. It's easier to navigate through.

4. idealcheese thread starter macrumors regular

I started this thread because I plan on upgrading. Thanks for chiming in, though!

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

6. idealcheese thread starter macrumors regular

All great advice—except that's exactly what I did last year. The problem wasn't checking out, it was getting into the store! I was even refreshing on my Mac and 2 iOS devices at the same time.

That reminds me to ask: if I want to enroll in the IUP during the order, is that likely to slow down checkout considerably? Is there any way to pre-enroll in the program to ensure a fast checkout?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017 ---
    That's what I did last year, but I was locked out for a good 15+ minutes after pre-orders began.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have got the last 4 iPhones on introduction day by using the app.

Have no idea why you were locked out. Sometimes life is not fair.

8. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Did you totally close down the app to refresh?

9. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

Signing up for the IU program will slow things down for you. You have to fill out paper work and they have to do a credit check. I know that you can go to the site now and pre enroll in the program.

As for the “secret” to pre-orders, there isn’t one. It’s purly based on chance, but there are some things you can do to raise your chances of getting a pre-order.

As others have said, you’ll have best results using the Apple app. I see you’ve already used it and also refreshed on your Mac. That’s exactly what I did last year and I got a launch day 7+.

My only other advice would be to wake up 20 minutes before pre-orders open. That way you’re awake and have time to get to the computer and start checking the store repeatedly. Don’t forget to also check on the phone.

Of course update all your info before hand and favorite your device configuration.
    If you’re planning on doing the IU 0program and are a t-mobile customer, you’ll have to go to a store to get signed up.

Best of luck!

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No secret. The server is random. Just dumb luck and pray it doesn’t crash between cart and check out.

11. missbing macrumors 6502

missbing

Will it slow down the process to have split screen Apple app and Apple Store? Or 2 websites, Apple and Verizon?

12. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

The secret is to not pre-order at all and line up the day before launch day. It always works unless you are too far behind in the line.

13. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

Had every iPhone I think for the past five years ship to me. Cause of the X launch I didn’t even bother having it shipped. Walked into my Apple store this morning. Walked right out with a phone.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I prefer having mine delivered to my office rather than get near an Apple store. Was easy for everyone to get what they want.

15. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I would like to know this answer as well.

16. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Why do people keep saying iPhone upgrade program delays. Before you finish filling out he paper work they lock you into a delievery date. As long as you are approved you get that.

17. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

Ive heard of people putting the item in their cart with a "Locked in delivery date" and the confirmation email showing a later delivery date. I'm pretty sure you aren't guaranteed a delivery date until your purchase is finalized and paid for.

18. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Sounds like it was just bad luck. The server was no doubt very busy. Factors beyond your control kept you from being able to connect while others were more fortunate.

19. ChrisLisi1982 macrumors member

ChrisLisi1982

In the UK we don’t fill anything out for the IUP online, we have to do it in store so we reserve one online then have to go to the store to fill out paperwork and collect the phone.

I also had trouble getting in last year using the app and website, it was 8:10am when I got in (pre orders go live at 8am in the UK)

I’d love to know if they split stock allocation between IUP and outright purchasing, because it’s quicker to buy it outright so I’d rather do that if it means getting one sooner, but if stock allocation is separate I’d go for whichever has most stock!

In the UK we can only buy sim free from Apple so no messing around picking carriers or price plans, you either do the IUP or pay the full price upfront.

20. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

You are absolutely correct. Until the item purchase is finalized and purchased, a delivery date is not guaranteed.

21. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Do a traceroute to compare your home, mobile, and work VPN connections to apple.com. Connect directly to the router.

Use the connection with the lowest packet loss and ping.

22. Macalway macrumors 68030

This may be the worst yet. I'm going on rumors, but it doesn't look good.

I love this stuff :)

23. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Wow, people take this very seriously! I'm probably going to order from my bedroom, where the wifi sometimes craps out because the router is in my basement. I'll let you know how it works out for me!

24. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Hmm. Sounds strange to do that. I get if not approved to not lock you in but otherwise that’s dumb.

How long is the Apple iPhone upgrade application online