What's the secret to the newer DVD's?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by miksterman, Jan 26, 2010.

1. miksterman macrumors member

I have come across some newer released DVD's that Handbrake can't crack. When it scans the dvd there is always 99 files to scan and Handbrake can't make a correct copy. Chapters are always scrambled up. Anybody found away around this? I've tried one way that kinda works which is using MakeMKV but the end product won't play on AppleTV. I end up saving it out from Quicktime using the AppleTV setting which strips the surround sound channels and the chapters out. Hope somebody has away around this already. :D

2. prss14 macrumors regular

prss14

I have had the same problem. Wanted to put the new Star Trek on my Apple TV and the chapters were completely in the wrong order. I hope someone has figured something out.

3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Play the movie in VLC or DVDPlayer.app and see which title plays. Then use dedicated ripping software such as Mac the Ripper or RipIt, or something like Fairmount, and rip the correct title. Then you can run it through HandBrake.

HandBrake can rip and encode, provided you have an updated version of the VLC library, but it's mainly an encoder. Use ripping software to make things easier.

4. miksterman thread starter macrumors member

Have you done this? I tried what you suggested and I got nothing. Fairmount locked up every time I inserted the disc. VLC wouldn't play the movie, only the previews. DVD Player said Title 43 of 99 was playing for the movie but I'm not sure how to get RipIt to rip just that title. It always wants to rip the entire disk. Could you give me some direction as to how to do this? Thanks

Versions of software I have to give you a better idea.

VLC version 1.0.2 64 bit version
    Handbrake 0.9.4
    DVD2oneX2 (no version number but it's the latest Mac release)
    Fairmount (latest 64 bit release for Mac)
    RipIt 1.3.3

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

It's odd that the disc won't play in VLC. What movie is this?

I've moved on to Blu-ray, and haven't ripped/encoded a DVD in a while. But Disney movies, for example, are notorious for bad sectors and other additional copy protection. Here's what I would do for those:

1) Play the disc in VLC and see what title was the main movie.
    2) Quit VLC and launch Mac the Ripper.
    3) Choose to rip the main movie only, and then check off the title that I got from VLC.
    4) Once it ripped, run it through HandBrake.

I never ran into a movie that I couldn't rip and encode using this method. But, like I said, I haven't ripped anything in months, so I don't know if they've added yet another anti-copy scheme that you now need to get around.

I have no experience with RipiIt, so I can't help you there. Sorry.

6. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

and when all else fails, just download it. You already paid the creators their money so it isn't a crime that you download the movie you already have paid for.

7. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Actually, it is. I would not choose you for a lawyer.

8. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

9. miksterman thread starter macrumors member

It appears I may have cracked it.

It appears after a long night of fighting with this I cracked at least one of these and it didn't take much effort after I figured it out. All I had to do is kind of what spice weasel has suggested. I opened and played the movie in DVD Player first and saw what title chapter played for the movie. For instance this movie played at Title 43/99, or 43 of 99 Titles. I then loaded the DVD in the source of Handbrake and changed the Title to be copied to Title 43. I got a perfect unscrambled version of the movie that the Apple TV didn't error on. I'm going to test the theory on another movie that was giving me problems and see if this is the true work around. :D

10. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Glad it worked for you.

11. neonkru macrumors regular

i solved that problem using dvd fab on windows because either mactheripper and rip it didn't work =p

12. miksterman thread starter macrumors member

Actually I have solved the problem. I tested my theory 4 more times since my last post and every one of the copies have been a successful one that played just fine on my Apple TV. Surround sound and chapters still intact. The Process is simpler than it seems. Play the movie in DVD Player. Have the title to display in the title number mode. When the movie begins to play it will tell you the exact title that the movie is. Then in Handbrake after you have loaded the movie under the source. Change the title to be the one that played as the movie in DVD Player. No ripper software needed. :D

13. itz4azeem macrumors newbie

I'm new: Don't see where to place the title

I have taken your advice as stated above. Saw 50/99, but don't quite follow you on where I should put this on handbrake, as well as how I should write it.
    Can you help?

14. miksterman thread starter macrumors member

Assuming you know how to load a dvd as the source into handbrake I've skipped a little forward to how you would change the title to be on title 50. I attached some screen shots for you to give you a idea. After you have loaded the DVD as the source in handbrake you can change the title to be copied in handbrake by clicking on the pop down menu next to Title. You will see 99 tracks with the times for each in that menu. In your case change that so that you have title 50 - and whatever the track time is selected. I write my files so they work on my AppleTV. I created a custom setting using one of the existing AppleTV settings with the following settings as shown in the other images. If you want to title the chapters in handbrake you can. I find it easier to but I double check them again after I write my tags with metax. After you've done all that just click the Add to Queue button then select the movie in the Queue and click the Start button. I also like to keep the file destination on my desktop so that I don't have to go hunt for the final file after it's done. Hope this helped.

Attached Files: