What's the selling point besides texts on your wrist?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by D28Z98, Mar 25, 2015.

1. D28Z98 macrumors member

I've watched the Apple events and everything and I kind of waited to see the must have feature - and I just never saw it.

It does stocks which I've never opened once in my life, it does weather which I open maybe a few times a week, it does Shazam which I use maybe once every 3 weeks - what's the main selling point for me?

My favorite looking Apple Watch version costs $1,100 - that's a tough sell to me in order to get texts on my wrist instead of 1 foot further away in my back pocket.

What do you guys see as the main selling points? I'm really struggling with this product. I wish that I was excited about it (like I was for the iPhone and iPad) - help me out.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you don't see the point, then the product is probably not for you. No need to struggle to get excited about it!

That said, personally I'm looking forward to the "tap to remind you to get up and move every hour" function. Also, buy movie tickets and wave my watch at the movie theater to get in. Plus, for various reasons, my phone often ends up in another room than me, so I think the text on my wrist function will be very useful for me. But I think it's perfectly reasonable to not see a use for the watch if your phone is always in your back pocket.

3. D28Z98 thread starter macrumors member

My iPhone absolutely lives in my back pocket - 100% of the time. Maybe I'm just trying to view it for more than it really is. Maybe it's just more of a fun electronics device and less of a life changing device like the iPhone and iPad was (to me)

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

IMHO it's the next logical step in mobile computing, how many times a day, an hour, do we glance at our phones, many times unlocking in order to do it? It seems like most of the time it's just to peak and get relevant information. That being the case, the Apple Watch will be a slam dunk, simplifying things marginally. I guess we'll have to wait and see how well it does, just my .02.

5. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

I don't think the watch is beneficial to someone who literally has their phone on their body 100% of the time, unless the notion of no longer being a slave to to your phone is of interest to you.

On the other hand, the watch makes a lot of sense for people who either a.) don't have their phones physically on them constantly (whether that means it's left across their home or office for various reasons or placed inside a handbag while on the go), or alternatively b.) would like to avoid feeling the need to constantly have their phone in-hand while awaiting time-sensitive notifications. Or, both.

If you're fine with keeping your phone physically on your person 100% of the time, never miss a time-sensistive notification because you didn't hear or feel the vibration, and don't mind pulling your phone out of your pants every time your butt vibrates, then don't worry about the watch.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Is a Bluetooth headset a life changing device? No. Is it more convenient than holding your phone up to your face? yes.

That's the Apple watch. It makes the things you do on a daily basis with your phone easier and more convenient.

7. D28Z98 thread starter macrumors member

But you're still going to be tethered to your phone, even after an Apple Watch aren't you? It's completely dependent on an iPhone to actually send you all those notifications. And unless you're at home with both devices on wifi, you still need to have your phone close enough to connect to it with Bluetooth. You don't have the option to take the watch instead of the phone - if you could, I could see that being a game changer.

----------

This is true, but a Bluetooth headset doesn't cost $1,100 either.

I fear this thread will turn into a "me against you" debate on the Apple Watch. Honestly I'm just trying to "see" it - and I don't yet. Looking for practical uses on why to get excited for it. It might just be that I wouldn't really "use" it for much other than cool text messages and emails on my wrist instead of my back pocket.

8. aimbdd, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015

aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Like they said, if you don't see a point there probably isn't for you. I'm getting it for a bunch of reasons.
    1. Can't always have my phone out so I can still see and respond to messages.
    2. Apple pay. I find stuggling to pull out my phone is pretty much the same as pulling out a credit card half the time.
    3. For the time, seeing as it is a watch ;)
    4. Easy control of my home automation.
    5. Half the time I miss my phone going off or vibrating. That would be pretty hard to miss my wrists vibrating.
    6. I'm sure developers will bring great apps to it in the future as well.
    7. Heart rate and activity monitor. It will help keep me motivated to move and make sure I stand up once in a while.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Bluetooth headsets range from $25.00 to $200.00 depending on features and manufacturer. You can also get a $350.00 apple watch instead of the $1100.00 one and it provides the same exact features.

It's not a "me against you debate". You are asking why would someone get one and we are providing answers :)

----------

A study was done and it showed that the average person reaches for their smart phone 5 times in 2 minutes to check to see if they missed anything. (main reason why I'm getting the Apple watch as well)

10. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

You do not have to be within bluetooth range for the watch to work; once outside bluetooth range, the watch falls back to wifi connectivity to your iPhone. There's still debate whether that means limited to the range of the iPhone's wifi signal or just simply being connected to the same wifi network, but wifi range should cover most people's homes and any small/medium sized offices.

Don't get hung up on the idea that the Watch would only be useful if it replaced your phone; that line of thinking is what caused many people to not originally understand the purpose of the iPad upon its unveil (first question I heard out of everyone's mouth was, "does it make phone calls?"). There's literally like two scenarios where leaving your phone at home in favor of your watch would make sense; you're almost always going to need that big-ass screen at some point during the day, so an independently-operating watch is never going to be a game changer.

11. ksuyen macrumors 6502a

ksuyen

My phone also has most of the features that the Watch has (or would have) besides the heart rate sensor obviously. Sometimes I wished the phone can attach to my skin all the time, not in my back pocket or coffee table, so I won't missed any important messages on the right time (which happened a lot). That is only one example why watch is such a good idea. I don't think the idea of the watch is because it can do the same thing as your phone, but because it can do certain things better and in much more convenient way.

Three things I anticipate to use a lot:
    1. Health tracker and management (and that reminder to move every an hour sit is very good)
    2. Communication (skin-to-skin gestures and real-time visual communication is also another thing that I feel very special and intimate to use between you and your partner)
    3. And of course, a time piece.

Frankly, I do think most people will be sceptic at this point when the product is not even out yet. And I don't blame them. But I also do believe that once we enjoy the practical use of the watch, there is no way to go back to the phone anymore (unless for calling).

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's the most important selling point if you ask me.

13. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Health and fitness for me. Fingers crossed those sensors are up with the best.

14. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Yes you have to be tethered but your phone doesn't have to be right on you. Bluetooth stretches up to 33 ft. I'm looking forward to the Convenience of phone calls for one. When I had a GGear it was nice when driving because you don't have to have your wrist in your mouth to talk. Both hands can be on the wheel and u can still talk and hear everything clearly. Text notifications will be nice, using my watch for a remote on my Apple TV is handy, I'll be more active now that spring is here so light jogs and the data showing up will all be nice to have for me.

15. Mildredop macrumors 68020

It's good you don't work in advertising.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, you are right, I don't work in advertising, so it isn't my job to persuade people to buy the watch. :cool:

17. jozero macrumors regular

I'm excited about the maps if they work right. If I am going somewhere new, or in a new city I pull out my phone like 10 times wondering if I am going the right way.

If the crown lets you zoom into the map of your route that would be pretty damn slick.

I'm also curious if it will work well as the music controller. Can I switch between listening to some tunes and a podcast ? Thats a bonus as well.

Timer while doing exercise is nice.

18. mostro900 macrumors member

Convenience...

I really think the biggest selling point(and perhaps not the easiest to communicate) is just convenience. Some people will state that if you have your phone already, what's the big deal? and that is true, however, people appreciate convenience enormously - especially as our lives get busier and busier.

Think of escalators. What's wrong with a set of stairs ? They don't use energy, so cheaper to maintain; better for the planet; keeps people healthier, etc. However, escalators are more convenient, faster, help with accessibility, etc. They're not needed, but sure are appreciated. Think of the Apple Watch as escalators on your wrist! ;-)

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

One question is, can you see enough area and detail at arm's length, to make up for not having a much bigger phone screen to look at.

I'm visualizing legions of tourists in NYC, peering at their watch held up close to their face, trying to figure out where they are :)

Sorry, I kid. Partly.

20. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

Not without a more innovative display. Even navigating on an iPhone screen is frustrating, requiring lots of zooming in and out and lots of panning, as street names and location names disappear if you zoom out.

21. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

Here's my use case:

I work in a radiology dept and we do minimally invasive surgeries to brains, livers, arteries, etc...

I stream Pandora or Spotify to a BT speaker across the room, and since we're a hospital and not supposed to use our phones, I use my Pebble to change the songs, volume, channel/playlists all day, and run a stock ticker on my wrist to see how much money I'm losing, LOL...

I'm going to add an Apple Watch to the mix and see how it works for me, battery life, etc...

22. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Not sure why you think people care if you "see" it or "get excited" for it..... The apple watch is not something you're interested in because it's not marketed to someone such as yourself. Don't try and get it, don't try and get excited just move on with your life.

Oh I think you nailed it with that vision.

23. damant macrumors 6502

damant

convenient !

the same reason why i use my ipad instead of my home computer or laptop to browse the internet ....

24. heeloliver macrumors 6502a

heeloliver

I'm excited because it'll be like having a personal assistant on your *wrist*. Yes it's been done before but how personal Apple has designed it is why I want it. I used to have the Pebble and I loved the concept but their execution was flawed. Apple has made a beautiful object and I think they've nailed the OS. Sign me up.