What's the signal strength on Apple campus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greg555, Jul 15, 2010.

1. greg555 macrumors 6502a

From the phone that Gizmodo "bought" we know that Apple was field testing phones in a special case to make it look like a 3GS. So perhaps there was minimal field testing using naked phones.

So if the signal strength is very good on the Apple campus then that might explain why they didn't notice problems with hands bridging the antenna gap.

Thoughts?

Thanks - Greg

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

3. D3lta macrumors 6502a

4. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

Someone suggested earlier today that they probably have signal boosters on the campus in order to provide the iPhone with optimal signal and thus optimal performance.

I have no idea of course, just a thought.

5. greg555 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know what field testing means. I'm sure Apple did a lot of it, but maybe not very much using naked iPhones (because they were trying to keep it a secret).

Greg

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Then why even bring up the strength on campus? The majority of field testing would be done in the field, hence the name.

7. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

because that is probably the only place they tested the phone naked. The signal is probably very strong there, thus they didn't notice the problem

8. greg555 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Greg

9. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

I highly doubt apple engineers were looking at bars like we do. I can almost guarantee they were looking at raw dbm readings.

If they are looking at bars they may not see the drop, but I doubt they didnt see an almost 20dbm drop in signal while testing. I completely chalk this up to jobs loving the design and saying screw it, I love this design this is what were doing, hes famous for this kind stuff.

10. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

11. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I would almost place money on Apples entire campus being covered with Repeaters, if not a full blown tower on campus (Of course by tower, I don't mean physical tower, but I forget what the systems they use in airports and malls are called.)

12. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Oh my God you're the first person to ever mention this!! Good job, detective.

I can't believe that no one has ever mentioned this in the other 4000 threads all talking about this same exact hypothesis.