Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alag28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
what are some good quality blank dvd's for the superdrive? and is the superdrive a reilable burner? in other words does it do the job everytime flawlessly?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
TDK are pretty good. Only one coaster in the last couple of years at work and that was when I was doing a lot of Photoshop work at the same time as burning.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Pioneer Superdrives are far and away the most reliable disc reader/writers I've ever used.

I use a lot of TDK media, but I also have some Philips CD-RWs, Memorex DVD-Rs, and Sony DVD-RWs that work fine too. I've had a number of failed burns with the Philips CD-RWs, usually after a quick-erase with Toast. Luckily they're RWs so I can just try again.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
apfhex said:
Pioneer Superdrives are far and away the most reliable disc reader/writers I've ever used.

I use a lot of TDK media, but I also have some Philips CD-RWs, Memorex DVD-Rs, and Sony DVD-RWs that work fine too. I've had a number of failed burns with the Philips CD-RWs, usually after a quick-erase with Toast. Luckily they're RWs so I can just try again.

The new drives are not Pioneer, but Matshi<whatever>, it is that brand owned by Panasonic.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't know what's best, but I have two Imation DVD+R DL discs that my Panasonic UJ-846 won't read. I'm pretty sure that they're from different "batches".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.