Whats the trance and progressive situation here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sammy2066, Jul 24, 2009.

1. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

I'm personally hugely into trance and progressive music. I listen to A State of Trance every week, and follow the trance scene pretty closely.

Most of these DJs like Apple equipment a lot ... Armin van Buuren, Gareth Emery, Paul van Dyk ... etc.

Anybody here a trance addict?

:cool:

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have loved trance music since my early teens. I heard William Orbit, Barbers Adagio for Strings ( I know its not strictly trance) and ever since then I have been hooked!!!

3. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adagio for strings is old school benchmark trance my friend. Good to see some trance addicts here. ;)

4. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

The closest I'll come to trance is Shpongle. Shpongle is f*cking amazing, but most other trance I hear (including Shpongle's Hallucinogen) is way too formulaic for me to not hate.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I like trance covers of video game music (Huelsbeck and Doom stuff mostly). Does Scooter count as Trance? That always struck me as happy hardcore or whatever they call it, but I rather like it.

6. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

I wouldn't call myself a trance addict (I've gone back and forth between being bored with it and getting into the groove)

iTunes tells me my favorites are Paul Oakenfold's remix of "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" by Led Zeppelin
    [​IMG]

Musique vs U2's (I think they're actually Moussa Clarke and Nick Hanson) - "New Years Dub [Mauro Picotto Mix]"
    [​IMG]

Amoeba assassin's - "Rollercoaster" (but I think that's because it sounds vaguely like Orbital)
    [​IMG]

7. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

C'mon, there's gotta be more people than this listening to trance & progressive!

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I've been into Trance for quite a while - although Europe defines it a bit different from the US so I'm not sure which is the style I listen to more. I have a bunch of Armin, Van Dyk and Tiësto, so I'm guessing it's more the European definition.

What first got me hooked on trance was Chronologie 4 by Jean Michel Jarre (not strictly Trance, but resembles it) and then came Trance To Heaven by Julien Marsh (which is kind of hard to come by now). That's one of my all-time favourite albums.

9. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I don't care about any genre subdivisions at all so I just categorize everything as "Electronic" and don't really know what I'm listening to specifically.

-ATB
    -Eric Prydz
    -Van Buuren
    -Van Dyke
    -DJ Antoine
    -Evermore (just "It's Too Late". I'm addicted.)
    -David Guetta (some, at least)

Does that count?

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I'm more into psychedelic trance and hard trance than the mainstream stuff but there's plenty of that I love too :D

Can't wait for Cosmosis to play at our local club in November.

11. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Lmfao. RANK 1 TOO! They're da bomb. And use Logic Pro and a Mac Pro I think.
    I just listen to many sub-genres of Electronic/Dance.
    For example:
    Paul Van Dyk
    Paul Oakenfold
    Boys Noize
    David Guetta
    Groove Armada
    Armin van Buuren
    Laidback Luke
    The Bloody Beetroots
    DJ Tiësto
    The Crystal Method
    Daft Punk
    Guru Josh Project
    Cosmic Gate
    and a whole lot more.
    Any ravers at this forum? If so, how many of you went to EDC or going to Monster Massive, Tao, or Nocturnal.

12. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

EDC is a quarter of a mile away from me. I missed it this year. I had work.

14. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I've listened to some Groove Armada, and just can't get with them...
    Forgot to add before: Scooter, Ferry Corsten/System F and Robert Nickson are pretty good as well.

15. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Trance and progressive house have been my favourite genre of music for a long time, with no sign of abating.
    Sorta rolled into it from Jean Michel Jarre roots and moved into Goa/Psychedellic trance when that became big in the mid 90s. From there I ventured into trance as we know it today.
    Used to listen to A State of Trance for years but eventually got a bit tired with Armin's track selection and found a better DJ. 'Lazarus' and his Rebirth Sessions.
    You can find his work posted over on these forums. He's highly prolific, responsible for filling up my HD way too fast. :D

16. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Oh yeah FERRY! Gonna go see him in September. :D

17. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Well, you missed out at the best night of your ***** life. And you couldn't go on Saturday or even Friday?
    EDIT: @spaceboots: Is that an ecstasy tablet in your profile pic? Never knew fellow Mac nerds took x.