What's the true AirPrint story?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheGrudge, Nov 11, 2010.

1. TheGrudge macrumors member

TheGrudge

I've been scouring this forum and various tech websites for a few days now. There are rumors flying around about AirPrint being cancelled, not being cancelled (as per SJ himself), working with iTunes open, not working with iTunes open, working if you modify a few files in Leopard...and so on.

All I know is I have an iPad running iOS 4.2 (I'm a dev), with Snow Leopard 10.6.5, and the beta version of the next iTunes -- and AirPrint displays "No Printer Found" when I try to print from an application. My printer is connected to my iMac and printer sharing is ON.

So - should this be working or not?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Essentially AirPrint will work to newer AirPrint certified HP Wireless Printers.

They for some reason decided to remove AirPrint for 'shared' printers on Mac 10.6.5

You can add the functionality back into 10.6.5 with a simple hack
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11401113#post11401113

No-one can at this stage say if the Official Release of 4.2 will be different to the GM version and that you wont need this hack and all will be well - however it seems unlikely.

3. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

It is possible that Apple just decided to split the AirPrint/Printer Sharing functionality into its own update rather than have it part of the 10.6.5 update. Maybe that update will come out the same time 4.2 is released to the public.

Might even bring 10.5 compatibility.

4. djmodifyd macrumors regular

I'm thinking it might be like the windows version and be an option you enable through itunes.

Works perfectly with my printer shared via windows 7. Maybe itunes 10.1 for mac will have this option?

5. imacken macrumors 65816

As I'm sure you know, Airprint functionality in Windows comes from iTunes.
    I wonder if Apple will work it the same way now in OS X.
    I guess it would make some sense to have compaibility with the iTunes versions.

6. rworne, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

rworne macrumors 6502

My 10.6.5 setup still has Airprint.

To clarify:
    I had the 10.6.5 beta with Airprint, and OS X would not install the 10.6.5 update from software update yesterday.

So I used the revisioner that came with the 10.6.5 beta, and the latest released update was now detected and installed. I rebooted, and Airprint is still there and functioning on my two Brother laser printers.

[​IMG]

7. bozzykid macrumors 68020

It's doubtful since Bonjour is a part of Mac OS so there is no need to include it into iTunes.

8. imacken macrumors 65816

Yes, apparaently if you update the beta it will work without replacing the 3 files because they remain untouched by the official 10.6.5 update.
    If you do a straight update to 10.6.5 (from 10.6.4) it will not work without the files from the beta.

9. imacken macrumors 65816

But the Airprint service is launched by iTunes in Windows as an option within 'Preferences'.

10. rworne macrumors 6502

That's what I think too. The OP wanted to know what was up, so I posted one scenario where it was known to be working. Now that I found out how to solve the print permissions issue, it works great here. I did have issues up until and after the GM where I could not print to one printer due to permission issues.

The fix: delete the problem printer, reinstall the printer and recheck sharing.

If this issue was still there when 10.6.5 was ready to be released, I can see why they would pull it. But I am not privy to that kind of info.

11. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Yes, I'm talking about Mac OS where bonjour is packaged with the OS.

12. imacken macrumors 65816

Sorry, I'm not with you. What does it matter whether Bonjour is packaged with the OS or installed separately either from iTunes or an update?

13. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Airprint on the Mac has already been working in previous betas. It doesn't use iTunes.

14. imacken macrumors 65816

We know that, but it's been pulled in the release 10.6.5 hence the speculation. That's what the discussion is all about - what might happen.
    Still don't see why it couldn't be implemented through iTunes as a possible explanation of why it was pulled, sorry.
    I am struggling to see what other explanation there could be. Difficult to believe that it would be dumped.

15. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Is it possible that the 10.6.6 update will bring the shared printing back to Mac OS X. It is only 3.7 mb I believe, so that sounds about the right size for something as trivial as printing.

16. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I have a new HP ePrint printer and 4.2 GM installed on my iPad and can say with 100% confidence that it does not work. It will not see my printer even though every computer on my network can print to it. Any ideas?

17. imacken macrumors 65816

Are you running Windows or OS X? What version of iTunes are you running?

18. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Sorry mate. I am running Mac OS X 10.6.5, and iTunes 10.1b.

19. imacken macrumors 65816

It's all very odd this. I mean why 10.6.6 at 3.7Mb? Why release 10.6.5 at all? Why take out Airprint functionality when it seems to work well (for most people)? Will iTunes 10.1 be released with the Windows Airprint functionality removed? It would have to be wouldn't it? Mac users would be pretty annoyed if it wasn't.
    Still, I am totally confused as to why it was dropped in the first place.

20. imacken macrumors 65816

Have you applied the workaround with the 3 files from the 10.6.5 beta?

21. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

AirPrint on windows is installed as a separate windows service by the iTunes installer, and the checkbox in iTunes is just used as a convenient way to enable and disable the service. In OSX it's installed as a CUPS filter so doesn't require a separate service. Therefore there is no requirement for a checkbox in iTunes or for anything to be included in iTunes.
    Bear in mind also that this was done as part of the beta release cycle and might have been done that way in windows purely for convenience.

22. imacken macrumors 65816

I understand that Phil. My point was/is why does Airprint have to be installed as part of OS X? Is there something stopping it being installed as part of iTunes or a small independent software update or something else?

23. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I guess there's nothing at all preventing it being installed as part of iTunes or even a separate software update. I suppose in some ways it makes sense to bundle it with iTunes as it's functionality that's required for iOS devices

24. imacken macrumors 65816

Yes, and I would have thought that having more compatibility between the OS X and Windows versions would be a good thing. No?
    Let's just hope that this is the reason why it was 'pulled' from 10.6.5, i.e. the functionality will return when 10.1 itunes is released.

25. melman101 macrumors 68030

iTunes 10.1 on Windows 7 definitely removed the "Enable Airprint" checkbox in Preferences :-(.