What's the typical launch day protocol for Apple stores located in malls?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sjn419, Jun 4, 2010.

1. sjn419 macrumors regular

I'm thinking about camping out for 4g launch and was wondering what others have experienced with mall Apple stores. Do they keep the mall open? Where do we wait? Do they hand out vouchers or do you have to stay the whole time......

(I'm gonna be at fairoaks mall in fairfax, VA btw)

Should I preorder in store (can I), online or not at all?

Also, my strategy would be to be 1-5th person in line and once in store head straight for the accessories I want before getting the phone. Don't they usually run out first?

2. azsprty macrumors 6502

Mall security will either let you in and begin the line near apple or just form a line at a certain mall entrance

More than likely they will make you get the phone first, then accessories

3. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

I've only ever waited in line for an iPhone on launch day (iPhone 3G) once before and when I purchased it, there were no accessories available at the time, at least at the AT&T store, not sure if the Apple store would have them, though.

4. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Generally malls open early for mall walkers but if you want to get there at like 4AM, mall security should let you in if they are aware of the iPhone launch.

5. sjn419 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats actually why Im chosing to go to and Apple store for Launch as opposed to ATT. I think they're more likely have more/better selection of accessories at launch. I went to an ATT store for the original iphone launch but cant remember if they even had any accessories

6. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

You're probably right in assuming this. Of course it also depends on how soon after WWDC it's launched or whether Apple gave accessory makers dimensions for the phone in advance.

7. sjn419 thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking midnight. Overkill?

8. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Usually, the better case manufacturers like Power Support and Incase release their cases shortly after launch.

9. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

Probably not for 1st-5th like you want. For the iPhone 3G launch, I went at 4am and was 18th. By the time they opened the doors at 8am, the line was wrapped around the building (probably a good 120 people).

10. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I always go 6 hrs early.

3G: 21st in line
    3GS: 2nd

I expect demand will be higher this time around for the many who did not get the 3GS and the fact that it is such a better upgrade with an expected different form factor.

11. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I did the fanboi thing only one time, at 3G launch. Drove 4 hours in order to stand in line at a mall for 6 hours.

Never again.

[​IMG] THAT.

Pre-order works too well. If I wait a day or two extra, well, I wait a day.

12. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Ugh 4 hours sucks. I only have to drive 30 mins.

13. azsprty macrumors 6502

Got to the apple store for 3GS. Was 1st in line for "reserved" and there were 7 people in "non reserved". May try to pre order and hit AT&T this time

14. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

Many malls open early to allow walkers to walk around the mall for exercise, with that being said u should be able to get in with no problem. On launch day i'm sure the Apple stores will open early also.

15. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Well, here's what you do.

If you can pre-order online to pick up in a store on launch day, DO IT. That way you'll at least be guaranteed a phone and won't have to go so early. (Accessories will be limited on launch day no matter what.)

If you can't pre-order (or even if you can) check out the MacRumors meetup forums a couple days before whenever the new iPhone will become available. Find people that might be looking to go to stores in your area and what time they plan on showing up. Obviously not everybody posts on MacRumors when they want to go (obvious reasons) but it's a good place to start!

16. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

For the very first iPhone, I went the next day. I waited on line, but had no problem getting my phone. For the iPhone 3G, I went on launch day, but after they released them. I called one Apple store and they said that their wait time was about an hour. I then called another one (I have two close to me), and they said only about 30 minutes. I went to that one! I did have to wait on line, but it was not that bad. It moved fairly quickly and everyone got what they wanted.

This is without pre-ordering since there was no such thing at the time. I did not upgrade to the 3GS because I did not see it as a huge upgrade. I do not think that you have to be there that early since number in line has nothing to do with it. You are just losing sleep over something that you can get a little later in the day. Or I might have just been very lucky twice.

As far as accessories, I would not even bother. Most of the stuff there (and there was a lot before they changed the whole layout of the store) is not that good. A lot of the good stuff is not there and the case I prefer is not even sold there! You are just inclined to buy something because you see all of those cases and think that you need one. However, I can assure you that they are not of good quality, and you most likely will be purchasing something better in the future. Save your money or just buy something like earphones or an extra charger.

17. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I don't understand these people who camp outside of a store to buy a product, do you actually find joy in camping there? or are you so pathetically impatient that you can't wait couple of days?

18. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Both.

19. scottpuplava macrumors newbie

When you pre-order is there also an option to pre-pay? I am asking this because i'm only 18 and I don't have a credit card, so that would be the only reason that I wouldn't be at an apple store on launch.

20. Agent 21 macrumors regular

If you're 18 then you can open a bank account. Most of them are totally free, and give you a check/debit card. It works just like a credit card except it takes the money from your account right then instead of "crediting" you and billing in the future. If you're asking about pre-paying I'm assuming you have (or will have) the money but don't want to have that much cash on you, so just open an account, deposit the money for the phone, and pay for it with the debit card.

Debit cards are excellent. I don't think I've carried more than $20 in cash on me, unless I have a specific reason to) since I got my first debit card 8 years ago. Plus they don't get you into trouble like credit cards do.

21. scottpuplava macrumors newbie

I've been told on here before that cash isn't an option when buying an iPhone. Credit or debit only. If prepaying is an option though, I could just have my dad pre-order it.

22. Holliemp macrumors newbie

Danbury Fair Mall, Danbury, CT

I emailed the mall manager and this is a copy of the email:

Ms. Palochick –

Customers will be allowed in to wait in line at 7:00am.

Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 10:30 AM
    To: Ruby, Maura
    Subject: iPhone 4 Launch

Ms. Ruby,

I was wondering how the mall is going to handle people wanting to wait in line for the iPhone 4 prior to the Apple Store opening at 7am on Thursday. Will there be an organized line outside the mall? Will you be allowed to go wait inside the mall?

Please let me know.

Thanks you very much for your time,

Hollie M. Palochick

23. jfk3674 macrumors member

lol, I worked in that Mall during college. I don't recall when the mall opened, but I remember when it officially opens and closes there is this chime that goes off and you hear all the gates on the stores opening at once.

Oh and for what it's worth late at night we used to sneak into the food places and get free drinks from the soda fountains and other junk they would leave out. Well we did until the people from Wet Seal turned us into mall security....

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You should type "so pathetically impatient that you can't wait a couple of weeks."

Asking a question with incorrect facts in it isn't the way to get a good answer.

25. ItsThatKush macrumors regular

sorry but i will never understand this statement.

the 3GS is incredibly faster than the 3G. Like, not even close. There are some other improvements, but the speed of the phone is enough for me to say that it was a SIGNIFICANT upgrade.

"well, not everyone can afford it" -- NONSENSE. Yes, technically I have to pay for the new phone... but really I am not b/c you can sell your old iPhone for almost as much if not more than your new phone costs.. depeding on the capacity of the phone.

I sold my 3G (which i got for $199) for $250.. Got the 3GS for $299, sold for $350! New iPhone 4, again... $299, will sell next year for iP5 for probably close to $400.

The only reason I'd say you wouldn't upgrade is because maybe not eligible. I'm on family plan, so luckily I can always take somone else's upgrade. But if you have upgrades available.... just keep buying and selling and you might make money!