What's the verdict on waiting (MBP)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thehopscotch, Dec 7, 2009.

1. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I know the buyer's guide on here recommends waiting on a MBP unless you really need it due to a refresh expected in Q1 2010...however, based on today's news on Apple potentially skipping Arrandale, I'm wondering what the consensus is now.

I've been eyeing my first Mac...the 13" MacBook Pro for general use and photo editing in Photoshop CS3 or CS4. I fully realize many oppose the 13" and/or the glossy screen for photo editing, but that's what my price point provides and I do it more for a hobby (and for a little additional money on the side, but I'm certainly no pro). I'll deal with what I can get out of the 13" screen and the glossy.

I was all set to wait until Jan/Feb to see what the new year brought, but based on today's rumors...I'm beginning to wonder if I should just pull the trigger on a purchase sooner rather than later.

Also...would any upgrade to the MBP provide a significant boost for a general user and Photoshop user like myself?

Any other insight?

2. hazedragon45 macrumors regular

i tried waiting to buy my first MBP 13". It only lasted less than a month because it kills not knowing exactly what's going to come out and when so i ended up getting it 2 weeks ago

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's the same as it always is; if you need a new machine, buy one now. If you don't, wait.

4. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

^ This.

I came here just to state the above. It will always be like that, no matter what.

5. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I've heard it before

I've heard that slogan a million times on these boards...but the fact of the matter is, I don't ever NEED one...I want one. With that being said, I could wait for forever if I always play the waiting game, because there is always going to be something newer/better on the horizon.

My question is...would a Jan/Feb refresh (if it even happens now based on the rumors the came out today) be a significant improvement over what I'm planning to use the computer for? (general use, photo editing in CS3/CS4)

6. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

No because MBP's 2 generations + older (Santa Rosa, etc.) can do all of those very well.

So unless Apple chooses to use Arrandale, IMO a refresh will probably come with a CPU bump and stuff like that.

7. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Even if they skip Arrandale they are still going to upgrade something whether it be Hard drive, base Ram etc.. the truth of the matter is that nobody knows whether its going to be something thats going to help you with your needs, but whatever it is chances it will be positive.... And since Apple usually keeps prices the same you are going to get more for your money by waiting. So my personal advice is to wait the couple of months, like you said you are not a pro and therefore I'm assuming you dont need the new computer for work or for school. Just wait

8. PK! macrumors newbie

One thing to remember about waiting for a refresh is that the price will probably increase. Just a thought.
    I love my 2.26 GHz MBP. I've waited for more than two years, and I finally decided to go for it. I couldn't be happier. It's all up to you whether or not you get one, but just remember that there will always be new technology, and you will always be waiting if you don't take the plunge sooner or later.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...What? No it won't.

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

right now i would wait till mid january. if there is nothing i would buy.

you can always sell and upgrade to the newest MBP if you really want it. you lose some money of course.

11. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I always feel best to gauge my need and then wait for the next revision just so that I feel cutting edge, if but for a while. I realize that the difference is usually not much but according to the Buyer's Guide it has been 183 days on an average update cycle of 200 days, so updates are imminent.

My 2¢...

12. psingh01 macrumors 65816

The last few MBP updates were on an 8 month schedule. This would make February the next time we could predict an update. There are reports that Intel's new chips will be released in early January giving Apple enough time to build up an inventory in time for a February update.

Of course they can deviate from the pattern, but at least it gives a good idea.

13. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

No harm in waiting for another month. A new year always opens up new opportunities. :]

14. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

You lose the ability to write it off on you 2009 taxes if you use it for business purposes :)

I do think this update is worth waiting for because of the architecture change. Getting rid of the FSB architecture has greatly improved performance.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would say January/February is still on regardless of recent news. It's still time to update the Apple products. For those that think a price increase is coming:
    A. It's not, Apple is moving away from that
    (Even if it did happen)
    B. It would (likely) be cheaper then trying to make a current machine comparable via BTO
    C. The current models would be cheaper​

16. Surely Guest

Surely

I bought my MBP on Thanksgiving. I'm using it now instead of waiting.

I didn't need it. I wanted it. At the price I bought it at, I couldn't resist. I saved around $270.

I have no regrets, and will have none come January with the MBP refresh, because even in January the MBP I bought will still be a MBP.

17. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Doesn't seem like it. :p

18. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Depends on the model, but if you do photoshop and professional photography, a newer model with larger screen won't come amiss.

The June-2009 refresh puts out a VERY important update (IMHO) with better quality display panels for all MBP models.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10041-10146

Reading that, I opted to sell off my early-09 15" model and get the newest 17", with the much appreciated resolution of 1920x1200. Now I can do Flash development far more easily, as the 15" model's 1440x900 was cramped. Not to mention the reds were undersaturated. :eek: Rob's review says that issue is resolved.

A full refresh might occur in January, or it might not:

[​IMG]

Based on that timeline, major MBP revisions don't come out for 2 years. The early-09 model is a big revamp, with a tiny one in June (save for the display quality and larger battery capacity). It's just a guess, but future revamps might not come out until February, if not longer.

Trouble is, nobody truly knows. :(

Also, some people and professional reviewers have complained about the 17"'s footprint, the next model might have a 17.3" panel with a resolution of 1920x1080. Going from 900 to 1080 pixels isn't as useful as going from 900 to 1200.

And having read on various video forum sites, the nice-sounding "GT230" video card is said to be a rebranded 9600GT. It's common knowledge the GT120 and Gt130 were rebranded 9400 and (lower-end) 9600 models respectively... And the GT230M model is just a whittled-down version, for notebooks.

http://www.google.com/search?q=nvidia+gt230m+rebranded

For the 17" model at least, one might be better off buying the current 2.8GHz model now and be happy. Technology always changes, but rebranding the same cards and (less likely) reducing the model's res from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 sound like downers...

Oh, check up the HP Pavillion dv7-3085 with the quad core i7 (clocked at 1.6GHz, turbo-boosts to 2.8) - some people are complaining of premature thermal death due to poor cooling. Uh-oh. I first read about this on Best Buy's web site. Of course, having looked at the unit directly, I wouldn't be surprised.

I could be wrong, of course.

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

While it's important to note that your computer isn't suddenly worse because a new one came out, this however is a wait until there is new one.

20. Surely Guest

Surely

You have to admit, there are posters on these boards that probably would feel that their MBP is suddenly worse, and that it's more important to wait (probably for the purposes of spec-bragging). I've seen their posts every time a refresh occurs (eg, Threads like: Can I return mine? Will Apple swap it for a new one? etc.) There are those around here who have the rationale that buying one now would almost be foolish or a waste of money because of the possibility of a refresh in Jan/Feb. My comment was directed at them.

My comment's entire purpose was to communicate that sometimes it is better to pull the trigger and just buy it so that you can enjoy it now, rather than to keep waiting and not enjoy it.

I do agree with the "if you need it now, buy it, if not, wait" reasoning though.

21. hackum macrumors regular

It's not really that their current laptop is worse, but more like it is not as good a value as before, because for the same money you could get a faster one now.

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Most def. The last part of your post is the most important outside of you are happy with your decision. The stigma surrounding new updates is a rather interesting and scary phenomenon that seems to take place here. I will say that it is very important that posters now that the majority of posters would seem to think that updates are just around the corner. You said good stuff, but I guarantee someone else took advantage of Black Friday and isn't going to be that happy in January.

23. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Australia's back to school deals start in January, I'm hoping new MBPs fall within that time period! What will be different from the new MBPs compared to the old MBPs. I know there is no 'definitive' answer but would it effect the 'average consumer' who uses their computer for just everyday tasks ie itunes/net/word/occasional photoshop etc?

24. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

What do you need a new MBP for? You have the 2.4 model in your sig, right? If you don't even know what improvements there would be in performance, and don't seem to do anything a 3 year old Macbook couldn't do, I don't see you needing a new lappy.

It's not like your iTunes songs will sound better and your papers will be written faster. Everything will be the same, so save your money for another year or two before doing an upgrade just a year after you bought your last lappy.

25. eastcoastsurfer macrumors 6502a

I only buy macs right after a refresh. The MBP is going to get some refresh soon after the new year so I would go ahead and wait. Obviously if you don't have a mac at all right now, waiting is harder.