Whats the worst "point update" of OS X ever?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by foidulus, Jan 3, 2009.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I'm not talking about like 10.4 to 10.5, I'm talking about the 10.x.y releases. My vote goes for 10.5.6. 10.5.5 was pretty much working fine, but 10.5.6 seemed to break tons of stuff. Phantom unread messages in Mail, not being able to quit Mail, iTunes not even being remotely stable, Safari randomly ignoring cookies, the list goes on. Its especially bad after Apple criticized Microsoft for not fixing Vista.....

However, I've only been in it since the late Panther days and have only really paid attention to the updates since the late Tiger days, so I am curious as to what software updates have caused the most headaches for you?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm sorry that it didn't work for you... it made our computers run far faster.

10.5.3 sucked because it broke Spaces. 10.5.4 fixed it, though.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

10.4.11 nearly killed my Intel Mac mini. Slow downs like nothing you've ever seen, constant AirPort dropouts, etc. It now runs Leopard, thankfully.

Funny though, 10.4.11 works fantastically on my iBook G4...

4. Turmoil macrumors regular

I think they have steadily improved

I have been using OSX since I upgraded my Bondi I-Mac to the 1st public beta. I've done each upgrade as they have come out. I've never had a major problem with any of them. Ok, the early releases were pretty slow - but pretty much every thing I needed to do always worked. From my point of view, OSX has gotten better, faster and more stable with each release. I am looking forward to Snow leopard, tho I don't think it will be running on the bondi:

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Or any PowerPC computer, for that matter. Please TIMG your image!

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'd have to say Mac OS 7.5.2 was pretty bad. Boy the way it screwed up the Extensions Manager and the Open Transport TCP/IP extensions were a nightmare on top of the printer driver conflicts! Of course my insane mix of installed Control Panels with other useless boot-up movies and audio files probably wasn't helping.

Whatever issues have occurred with OS X "point" releases are nothing compared to the headaches the Classic days used to produce. I still to this day have never had any problems with any OS X updates. None.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

For me it has to be 10.5.6, 10.5.5 worked flawlessly for me, but now I am having an absurd amount of problems, I have to force-quit Safari and iTunes ALL the time to get them to quit, iTunes will only open after like 5 attempts, along with a crapload of other problems. The only good thing it did was cutting down the sync times for my iPod.

8. ihabime macrumors 6502

As I recall, 10.2.8 was a nightmare, program lockups, kernel panics even data corruption issues on 3 separate Macs. Apple pulled the update and reissued it, but after that 10.2 never seemed to run right for me.