What's there to do in Texas?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by elpmas, Jan 21, 2012.

1. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Hello! I'm in Texas for 2 weeks and would like to know what you guys would suggest to do in the Dallas/Plano area. If you can help me out, that'd be great! Looking forward to the suggestions!

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

being texas offers you the opportunity to go to Oklahoma

5. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Give George a visit. Tell him his best mate, Johnny, said hi.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A shotgun and a friend seem to go hand-in-hand in Texas.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You could eat barbecue, sweat, listen to stories about the Alamo, listen to stories about how everything in Texas is big, and buy boots and a hat that you wouldn't have the nerve (or good taste) to wear anywhere else. :rolleyes: :D

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Obviously a ton of haters who haven't a clue what life here is actually like. :rolleyes:

If you're going to be in the DFW area, check out the following places:

The Fort Worth Stockyards is well worth the drive. Plan on spending quite a bit of time there - they have a cattle drive, lots of shopping for some pretty unique stuff, great restaurants (Riscky's BBQ for some awesome all you can eat beef ribs), and you can end your day with a rodeo at the Stockyards Arena every Friday and Saturday night.

Head to Arlington and take a tour of the new Cowboys Stadium. Even if you're not a fan off the Cowboys it's an amazing thing to see from behind the scenes.

Unfortunately this time of year is a poor one for Six Flags or Hurricane Harbor, but if you're ever here in the spring or summer they can be fun.

Find yourself a great Texas steakhouse while you're here. Bob's Steak and Chop house and III Forks are wonderful. Twisted Root Burger Co. is also a nice treat.

If you get down to the Austin area try to check out the bat colony (again, it may be the wrong time of year). San Antonio is a great city, full of some great history and amazing Mexican restaurants. The Alamo is a must-see if you're into history at all, and the overall culture in S.A. is about as Mexican as you can get without leaving the U.S.

In any event, have fun and enjoy your stay!

10. elpmas thread starter macrumors 68000

elpmas

Why thank you, this has been the most helpful suggestion yet. I will try to find a good steakhouse. My brother suggested Off The Bone and Randys BBQ, so I wana check em out. I don't think I will get a chance to head to Austin :(...but I'll make the best of what I've got. Thanks again.

If there are more suggestions, I am more than happy to hear about it.

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Why don't you tell us a little bit about what you like to do and that might help us better offer suggestions. Tomorrow gave some good ones. I wouldn't say it's too cold for Six Flags as even now our days have been getting into the 60's & 70's in the afternoons. If the park is open then at least you won't have to wait in long lines to ride the rides.

If you like dancing then you can do some country dancing at Billy Bob's in Fort Worth. It's by the Stockyards that Tomorrow mentioned. If you like more of the club scene then there are plenty of late night dance clubs in Dallas. If want culture check out the Kimball Art Museum. For animals hit the Dallas or Fort Worth Zoo or the Dallas Aquarium. The Aquarium has both animals and fish and is really cool.

Those are just a few other ideas, but like I said if you can be more specific then we can make more specific suggestions. Have fun on your visit. :)

12. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

I'll recommend the JFK museum and the Aquarium if you're in downtown Dallas. Also, you should go to the Fort Worth Stockyards and go to Joe T. Garcias for the fajitas. It's cash only though!

13. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I found TX quite boring (lived there 7 years.)

However, some things are quite unique.

1. The cuisine (excellent meat ranging from ribs to alligator and rabbit).
    2. The landscape (foothills near austin ... Enchanted Rock for a short drive BUT big band national park is phenomenal if you have the time. swimming in the Rio Grande with it's natural hot springs is great as in breakfast in Mexico the following morning.) If you go, also walk the Window Trail.
    3. See a rodeo (the Houston one is worth attending.)
    4. Line dancing is quite fun.
    5. Fredricksburg is worth a visit for authentic German food and agri-tourism.
    6. Some macro/microbrews are good ... Shiner actually makes reasonable bocks, by American standards.
    7. Otherwise, not so much to see.

14. elistan macrumors 6502a

What do you like to do?

There are a few Audubon centers nearby.
    http://tx.audubon.org/audubon-locations

There's a go-kart track with really fast rental karts. (60mph, which is much faster than most other rental facilities.)
    http://www.dallaskartingcomplex.com

There's Six Flags. (Short for Six Flags Over Texas, the original of the company that bought up many other amusement parks then ran into financial difficulties. The six flags are the ones that have flown over Texas during its history.) This weekend looks like things might be a tad cool (50s) but that can still be fun.
    http://www.sixflags.com/overTexas/index.aspx

There's hockey (Dallas Stars) and basketball (Dallas Mavericks.) Not much football right now. ;)

There's a good bit of money in Dallas, so there's plenty of high-end shopping and dining if you're interested in that.

My favorite Chinese restaurant is in Plano - http://www.mr-wok.com/

The Dallas World Aquarium is pretty cool.
    http://www.dwazoo.com/

The White Rock Lake area has lots of paved hike\bike trails.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...n=0.111209,0.154324&vpsrc=6&t=m&z=13&lci=bike

All sorts of golf courses. And they are probably quite green.

15. speedyfv macrumors member

16. wpotere Guest

If you are over 21, you could also check out Lower Greenville.