What's this clicking sound?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by C00KiE, Oct 6, 2009.

1. C00KiE macrumors member

C00KiE

I just got my macbook pro last month and sometimes i hear this sound for like a second. I don't know how to describe it. It's like a little clicking sound. It can happen when i'm online or sometimes when i close the macbook. Anyone have this problem? what is it?

2. Kristenn macrumors 6502

I don't want to scare you! But, it sounds like your hard drive is dying. The same thing happened to me. My computer was 7 months old though. Don't take my word for it though. I might be wrong. Better let other people post first.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm guessing it's the hard drive parking/unparking--that will happen periodically (when the drive sleeps for power savings) and when you put it to sleep (as it writes data to the drive then turns it off). It varies a little based on the particular drive model, but usually sounds like a soft click or "ker-chuk" sound.

Easy test: Put your ear down by the computer and close the lid. You should hear a soft chattering sound while the computer backs up the RAM to disk in case it gets power cut, and then a few seconds later the'll be a click and it will become completely silent. If that last click is what you're hearing, it's the hard drive, and it's almost certainly normal.

If it's not that, hard to say. Another possibility is the speakers waking from a sleep state (which can happen even when the computer is awake if there's no sound for a while), which can make a soft pop (or at least, so I've heard--my MPB doesn't do that).