iPhone What's this GameController from lock screen?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by BDjEff, Feb 18, 2015.

1. BDjEff macrumors newbie

Something weird happened while my phone was sitting on my desk today. The screen illuminated and I noticed a new icon in the lower left notification area on the lock screen. It looked like a NES D-Pad
    [​IMG]

Hmm... never seen that before. I swiped up, had to unlock my phone and it went to this screen and just sat there "connecting" forever.

[​IMG]

After just sitting there for a few minutes i double clicked Home to close whatever had opened and saw that it was called "GameController"

[​IMG]

NOW, I do not have ANY apps called gamepad, i do not have any gamepad accessories, and it has since gone away. The other weird part is that as soon as i closed it i noticed my location services icon was on and has stayed on solid, though i cant seem to see what is using it? I'm a little afraid Apple/NSA is coming to get me now...

Any clue to what this is?

----------

Went through all my apps and system services one-by-one to figure out what was actively using the location services, it was "Motion Calibration"...

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Icons usually pop up in the bottom left corner as:

1. An app you have opened on a Mac or another iDevice that wants to "hand off" to your phone.

2. A suggested app. (Whenever I get near a Target/Apple Store it shows the Apple/Target App to download because I dont have them installed).

If there is another function/feature I don't know about it.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

There's a game control forwarding thing in ios8 for use with Bluetooth controllers. Maybe you have Bluetooth on and was picking one up?

4. BDjEff thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure

Like i said, I was at work. There are NO Apple computers anywhere here AND my bluetooth was OFF! (see first pic)

To answer the first reply:
    No Macs around AND i have the only iphone in the immediate vicinity. I dont think you can "hand off" from an unrelated/unrecognized idevice

It did NOT open the app store, it opened a GameController "app" that is not an app I have on my phone (nothing shows in spotlight either when searching that, nor is there anything in the app store that looks like it)

MY guess? It was a glitch to be used on a future Apple TV update to use the phone as a game controller, hence the "connecting" screen and activation of motion calibration