Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Nermal said:
16:9 is the size used by widescreen TVs. It can also be described as 1.78:1. Some movies use 1.85:1, and some use 2.35:1. I don't know why there are two different formats. I also don't know why widescreen TVs don't match either of these. To play a movie on a 16:9 screen, black bars are added to the top and bottom. In Apple's case, they have cut the bars off, rather than encoded them into the video stream.

That's about the extent of my knowledge, I'm not an expert :rolleyes:

I am so used to the black bars that if they went away, I'm not sure I could cope. That said, why don't television manufacturers produce screens with the standard formats of 1.85:1 or 2.35:1? Please tell me there is not a design patent or something of the film industry over those display sizes....please no.

Nermal said:
Oh and I also know the difference between 1080i and 1080p ;)

Care to share? I would like to know.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Quite simple. i is interlaced, p is progressive.

A 1080i signal consists of 50 fields (half frames) per second. Therefore, you get 25 full frames every second (60 and 30 respectively in the US).

A 1080p signal sends 25 full frames every second. It doesn't really sound different, and the end result is almost the same, although you get less 'motion blur' with 1080p (because the TV doesn't have to align the two fields correctly).

It's really just to do with delivery. It's easier to send 50 fields/second to a TV, since the power system runs at 50 cycles/second. For a computer, it's easier to send 25 full frames.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will jump in and correct me soon :rolleyes:

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Nermal said:
Quite simple. i is interlaced, p is progressive.

A 1080i signal consists of 50 fields (half frames) per second. Therefore, you get 25 full frames every second (60 and 30 respectively in the US).

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will jump in and correct me soon :rolleyes:

So I follow with the 'i' and 'p' points, interlaced and progressive make sense to me. I also follow the 50 half-frames which result in 25 frames a second, but I don't follow your point of 60/30 respectively in the US. 60 and 30 what? and the US is different than other locals?

Your knowledge base is seemingly more than ample for me, if it gets much higher level than that I am going to be completely lost. I have zero knowledge about HD and related topics.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
efoto said:
So I follow with the 'i' and 'p' points, interlaced and progressive make sense to me. I also follow the 50 half-frames which result in 25 frames a second, but I don't follow your point of 60/30 respectively in the US. 60 and 30 what? and the US is different than other locals?

Your knowledge base is seemingly more than ample for me, if it gets much higher level than that I am going to be completely lost. I have zero knowledge about HD and related topics.

I believe that, here in the US, broadcast is at 30 frames per second. So, you must double that to get the number of "half frames" that 1080i is using. I actually didn't know that New Zealand, or anywhere, for that matter, was any different than 30 FPS! :)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
tobefirst said:
I believe that, here in the US, broadcast is at 30 frames per second. So, you must double that to get the number of "half frames" that 1080i is using. I actually didn't know that New Zealand, or anywhere, for that matter, was any different than 30 FPS! :)

I see, so there was a mix of 30fps and 25fps comments in there, thus resulting in 50 and 60 half-frames. I understand (more) now, thanks for that clarification.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
I am looking forward to getting home from work to unpack and try my new dual 2.0 :D I'm going to try the HD stuff again, and post a comparison between it and my powerbook 1.5ghz. I'm assuming it will destroy it, but I'll hold my breath ;)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
FelixDerKater said:
If I were to get more than one frame every few seconds on my G4, I would probably be more likely to talk about it.

What is your G4 setup? I get much better than a single frame per second on my 1.5GHz PB....1.25Gb ram (if that matters for this), blah blah blah in the sig. What system are you running the HD content?

I'll watch one now and make sure, but I'm pretty confident it is better than 1fps.

Edit: It is not as good as my memory served me the first time around, however I still believe its better than 1 fps. Is there a way to have QT display the playback stats while you watch? I watched the Kingdom of Heaven trailer and its hard to tell because it fades to black often, and the trailer itself is jerky at times, but it looks 'alright' at best (watching full-screen on a 12" PB). If I shrink it down to half-size, it gets better, but not perfect.

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
Non-HD Playback in Quicktime 7

I haven't seen much, if any, mention of how Quicktime movies and MPEG's play in Quicktime 7. Any experience out there? Has anyone compared how Quicktime movies and MPEG's look in Quicktime 6 on Panther vs. Quicktime 7 on Panther vs. Quicktime 7 on Tiger? Enough with HD already!

forthebrave

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
honestly... I don't think QT 7 is something to get all crazed about! More bugs than a Motel 8! The HD Trailers I watched on the apple site are clear alright, but can a video be " so clear " that your eyes have trouble focusing? Maybe the human eyes weren't meant for HD, or maybe I have been staring and that lovely beachball that pops up ever so often after I installed Tiger. I've had a lot of trouble with QT 7 ( PRO ) compared to QT 6. Certain avi's don't play back smooth, some without sound, and certain website videos are gone~ And problems with DIVX codec.Sometimes simple is better .. I guess....

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
forthebrave said:
...but can a video be " so clear " that your eyes have trouble focusing? Maybe the human eyes weren't meant for HD....

Ohhh la la, blasphemy I say, blasphemy! I won't believe my eyes can't handle the clarity until HHHHH.HD comes out, and the pictures is so damn sharp that it cuts your retinas while watching! I love HD, best thing in video yet by far.

As far as issues in QT7, I have had a few movies that playback a little choppier in qt7 vs. qt6, and two play without sound now in 7, so I have to use vlc for those. Other than that, I have not noticed any other major/minor (knock on wood) bugs in the program yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.