Whats this on my screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Carps, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Carps macrumors newbie

I got a small white cloudy spot at the bottom right side of my new rMBP screen. It's been here for a good month or so and is quite annoying, thought it may just disappear but hasn't.

Its only noticeable on white or light backgrounds. Seems to blend on the darker colours.

I've attached a pic, hopefully it's noticeable.

Attached Files:

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

An unfortunate slight light leak I guess. May be an imperfection in the glass/backlight.

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I think if you take it in they would claim that you hit it or something.

4. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

Looks like a pressure mark. Did you carry the MacBook around in a to tight back or other stuff able to press the lid?

5. mohsy90, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yeah thats definitely a pressure mark. Was it there when you first purchased it? If so, you should have definitely posted this thread sooner, we would have told you to return it and get a replacement asap. It will never go away and could get larger if more pressure is applied to it.

And as mentioned above, you could try to take it to Apple and explain it to them, but they're likely going to assume it was done by you because you're well out of your return policy. I would still give it a shot and see if they can replace the screen for you.

6. dynafrom macrumors member

Wrong, I returned my rMBP over the same issue.

7. brentsg macrumors 68040

My first rMBP had a pressure mark just like this and I've read of others having the same. It was pretty disappointing too b/c it was perfect otherwise.

I noticed mine when I first booted to desktop and did the software update. It was visible on the boot screen, so it definitely wasn't something I damaged.

8. shorty66 macrumors member

Same thing happend with my rMBP. After the software update to 10.8.1 I noticed many white dots (4 days old Mac...). Its a vertikal strip on the left side at the display and looks like a cloud. I've contacted Apple for two days and they are shipping me a replacement.

And it was such a nice Samsung display :(

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

take it in, the worst case you leave with the same computer you came in with

10. Carps thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn this sounds bad. I have carried it around a couple of times in a rucksack bag. But obviously was very careful. I doubt anything could of pressed hard against it to cause damage...

I bought the thing from John Lewis, do i take it back to them or straight down to a apple store? (This is my first apple laptop)

11. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

:( be careful with rucksack backs. Unfortunately the rMBP screen is a bit more fragile (it seems). Despite the whole lid is made from aluminium, the back of the lid (behind the screen) is thin aluminium sheet. Any object in such a back that press the aluminium back can cause such a pressure marks. Better carry it in a laptop back and avoid anything touching the lid.

Good luck taking it back to Apple.

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

since its more about the warranty now its likey apple would be the place to take it, if john lewis is a store i would only take it there if you were still in the return period 14days or so

13. Carps thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the help guys.

Typical, the more expensive something is, the more fragile it seems to be.

14. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

Blatantly take it back to John Lewis, (they are a premium reseller in the UK for those in the US) They have extremely good customer service and I reckon they will take care of it. The retina's currently come with a 3 year guarantee, courtesy of John Lewis, for free! You'll be fine!

15. Carps thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate! I wasn't aware of the 3 year guarantee.