What's this scratch thing on my 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by upsguy27, Nov 1, 2008.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Look:
    [​IMG]

You can't really see it that well, but there's a scratch or crack (can't tell) running through the top of my 3G. Is this like the cracks people have been having with their 3Gs?

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

no, the cracks are in the plastic case, and are also mostly unnoticable on the black model

more likely to be a scratch

3. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I have something like this on my iPod touch, its a scratch, although I have no idea how one that big got there, its meant to be really strong (according to the videos on YouTube, anyway)... Weird.

I like your signature BTW, upsguy27 :)

4. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Thats a plain old scratch my friend. I feel for you.

5. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I kind of have the same thing. I looked at it really closely under a magnifine glass and it looks more like little bubble then a scratch. Mine started as one little scratch above the top speaker (but same distance away from the edge as yours) then grew and became longer. Then others started appearing and growing. Its stopped now but it cant be a scratch because i have a screen protector on. All of them are the same distance away from the edge. If you look closely you can see the black under the glass has two distinct sections and scratch appears on the boarder of them.
    By the way i started a thread on it a while ago. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=
    and theres one on the apple site
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7810644&#7810644

please tell me how it goes if you try and get an exchange

6. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i know 3 guys with that very same "scratch" so... its a scratch...

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I know someone who has one of those but can't be a scratch because that iPhone has a screen protector...

8. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

The next question is, how good of a screen protector? I have had those that come with various cases that could easily let a scratch through.

9. daisuke07 macrumors regular

I have the same thing but it is smaller. It's like inside the glass

10. Scallywag macrumors regular

I have the same mark, but mine is just right of the speaker along the bezel. It's not a scratch, nor is it inside the glass. Rather, it's the adhesive that holds the glass to the screen, and it's showing through because pressure was applied to that spot and the seal began to give way, ever so slightly. I got that mark from pressing on the screen too hard while applying an anti-glare shield. I was trying to get the bubbles out.

Now its yours forever!! Apple might replace it. I don't know, I never tried

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Me too. It's definitely not on top of the screen. I really have no idea how I could have scratched the underneath layer. :confused:

It's on the right side of the phone, in that little black border area between the screen and the bezel.

12. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Don't feel bad.. my son dropped my new 3G and put a giant old crack across the glass. :/

[​IMG]

13. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Ouch, that looks bad. :(

14. daisuke07 macrumors regular

damn concrete

15. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

otterbox defender would have prevented that. i was at Best Buy today and a kid had an iPhone with a screen that was cracked like that. He has no choice but to keep the iPhone and has no intention of getting it repaired he said. warranty will not cover it and he can't afford to fix it. dropped it on concrete and he had it in a Seido Inno2 case. standard screen protector as well. goes to show anything will and can happen.

16. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

That appears to be a scratch to me.

My iPhone has a nasty crack as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought it about two weeks after launch of the original iPhone (about a year and a half ago), and I'm waiting until the next iPhone revision to upgrade which will hopefully mark my two years with this current model.

17. zerrrox22 macrumors newbie

I have something similar..

I have noticed this same sort of thing after i took off my Invisible Shield screen protector. I don't believe it is a surface scratch since the glass is is smooth and even throughout the area. Upon looking at it from different angles I can be 100% assured that it is from the inside. It looks like small groupings of bubbles which I thought was the glue keeping the display together coming apart. I was planning on going in to an Apple store with this but I don't want a refurb after all the problem's I've heard people have with them. For the most part the phone is flawless :eek: Other than the weird bubble phenomenon

I have also attached a picture of what this is (i tried my best given my camera and lighting conditions)

Attached Files:

18. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

run your nail across it. does it go into the glass or is it something on there?

glass is pretty hard to scratch. it would probably crack before scratched.

19. zerrrox22 macrumors newbie

Not sure if this was directed at my post, but I ran my nail across it and its smooth all around (no indent on the glass itself). I also just wiped it using the included cloth so its 100% clean :)

20. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I have a small one under the glass over the black area as well.

21. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

if its something under the glass take it back to the apple store and have it replaced. i had a similar problem with my old iphone 3g and the apple genius said it had something to do with the way it was manufactured. now i have a brand new 3g. no problems.

22. Joe23 macrumors 6502

I had the same problem as you. Took it to an Apple store and had it replaced on the spot - no problems.

23. mohicanspap macrumors regular

same problem