Whats this sucker worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bfolkers, Mar 4, 2010.

1. bfolkers macrumors newbie

I've been watching this item, and have talked to the guy about it, and im wondering what some Pros think this puppy is worth.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/sys/1626262735.html

The whole OS thing he talks about really doesnt concern me, Since I really don't need the server OS.

He started a few weeks ago at 2000 dollars, and there was NO way i was going there, but seeing as though its still around, im wondering what kind of offer would be fair?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe your post is outside the market place, which has rules that you need to follow.

$2k is high btw.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1600$ sounds fair, seeing that it has 6GB RAM and dual 500GB HDs plus dual GPUs.

You can grab Snow Leopard for 29$ and install that, so don't worry about the Server OS X.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I could be wrong, but I believe that since the OP isn't asking for pricing advice for something they own, the post is OK.

5. bfolkers thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, so I have to make 250 posts before I can ask advice for a price on something?

6. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

The current price is acceptable... I wouldn't pay much more than $1600

7. bfolkers thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a copy of Snow Leopard at home, and planned on using it.

I thought about shooting him an offer of 1500 with the monitor, would that be laughable?

8. bartelby macrumors Core

If it's a feeler for something you might sell, then yes.
    But I think you're ok asking about the price of something you're interested in buying...

9. bfolkers thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, well I don't plan on selling it, I've been wanting a MP for a while, and I'm getting antsy waiting for the updates!

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can't ask "what price should I sell this for" but I think you're not violating any rules (not sure though). You already asked it and got few answers so... Mods will close this if they think this violates any rules.

11. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

he wont give it to you for $1500 until he is sure he wont be able to sell it other wise... try it ! if not see if he'll sell it for $1600 monitor included

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I doubt it. I would be 375$ less than he is now selling it for (with display). 1500$ for only Mac Pro sounds possible and maybe 1700$ for MP + display. You can ask of course, maybe he pathetically needs money quickly so he sells it for cheap.

13. bfolkers thread starter macrumors newbie

When I talked to a local "expert" at a Microcenter in town, He said since it is the "old" processors, he wouldn't pay over 1000 for it. But i think I told him there was only 2gb of ram in it.

Does the Xeons that are in it make a difference? I realize they aren't the newest, but I'm sure they would blow my MB13 out of the water :)

14. evarian macrumors member

go for $1500. I can't imagine it'll be too easy to sell in the next few weeks/months

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

He has no idea what used Mac Pros are worth. Even though you could get i5 iMac for little more which is faster than that it doesn't offer expandability. 1500$ sounds great price for it