What's this "Updating Library" message?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daihard, Aug 16, 2009.

1. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Hi.

I have been getting this "Updating Library" message every time I access the iPod app on my 32GB 3GS after I sync it. It usually goes away in a few seconds, so it's not really a huge problem. It is still puzzling to me because I never got this message with my old 3G or even the 16GB 3GS which I gave to my wife. I googled around and found that there are other users who have the same issue, although I haven't been able to find any way to get rid of it.

In an attempt to track down the problem, I removed all my music from the iPhone and started adding a couple of playlists at a time. I was able to do so without getting the "Updating Library" message to a certain point (like 7GB worth of music), but once I got it, removing the latest playlists I'd added would NOT get rid of the message. What gives?

Like I said it's not so much a problem as it is an annoyance. Nonetheless, it bothers me that I now get this message that I never got before. Any opinions, feedback, advice? They would all be appreciated!

TIA

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Because it's updating the play counts? Or it downloaded music wallpaper?

3. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

You have to let it sit for a minute or two before you can use it. I get it too! :p

4. daihard thread starter macrumors 6502a

daihard

Thanks for the response. I'd doubt it, though. Like I said, I never got that message with my old iPhones.

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, mine only lasts a few seconds so the wait isn't an issue. Let me ask you... if you have used more than one iPhones, have you always encountered that message?

5. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

my ipod does this when i added and removed music from the library, so its not just the iphone that does it. Ive only had a ipod and iphone...however, i put 4gb of ALAC in 1 sync and i didnt get this message on my iphone.

6. daihard thread starter macrumors 6502a

daihard

Thanks for the response!

Now, I *think* I've figured out why that's been happening to me. I must be clicking on the iPod app icon on the iPhone too soon after the sync!

The iPhone apparently does update its library every time songs have been added/removed. You will normally not see the "Updating Library" message because the iPhone most probably completes the update process on the background before you open the iPod app after the sync. Only when you open the iPod app right after the sync do you see that message, by not giving the iPhone enough time to complete the process.

I will now be able to sleep peacefully... :)

7. mctape macrumors member

I've been getting this screen on my 32GB 3GS as well, but only since the 3.0.1 update. I get it the first time I go to the iPod app after I sync, no matter how long it's been since I synced. Yesterday morning it happened when I went to play something 30 seconds after I synced, but last night it happened at least 3 hours after a sync.

I did not see this screen once before 3.0.1.

8. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I started getting this on my 3G after the 3.0 firmware update came out and I just assumed that it was a firmware thing.

Then I got my 3GS and it was doing the same thing, which didn't make any sense.

I was also having other bugs that somehow made it from my old 3G phone to my new 3GS phone (screen would never dim completely, etc). I became suspicious that there were corrupted settings from my 3G that had made it to my 3GS when I simply restored my 3GS off of my 3G backup, so then I restored my iPhone from scratch as a 'new' iPhone and reloaded all of my applications and music and it has never happened since.

Restore your iPhone as a NEW iPhone and it should clear the problem up.

9. ascott8 macrumors newbie

Help! "Updating Library" message leads to deleting music

I found this forum - and it seems to be the closest one I can find to my issue. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it. I get the Updating Library message from time-to-time and it always leads to all the music and podcasts disappearing from my 16 GB iTouch. It is so frustrating - especially when it happens on a trip. I can sync with my computer and get everything back, but when I'm away from it for a while, I'm out of luck.

I read the postings in this forum, and usually my iTouch has hours to sync, so that is not the issue. I've been looking for a way to inactivate the device's way of updating library at it's own will, but haven't found it.

Thanks to any help that anyone can provide.

10. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

I never noticed the updating till i added about around 10000 songs from my brothers library. now it can take 1-2 min before i can listen to music.

11. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I haven't the faintest why but when I had this problem several months ago, I read somewhere that enabling Genius and updating it and then resyncing will eliminate the problem. It worked for me, at any rate, and I haven't had the problem recur to be able to test to see if that indeed was the fix or if it was just a happy coincidence.

Just the same, I always check now to make sure my stuff's all there after I sync but before I leave the house. Got burned a couple of times by getting to the gym and finding I suddenly had an empty library. Grrr.

12. AMcBroom81 macrumors regular

AMcBroom81

I saw this message about 3 days ago but have not seen it since. it was right after I synced a song and then tried to launch ipod right after the sync was complete.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I've had this pop up a few times on my 3G, but have no idea why. I manually sync music if that's any help.