whats this?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by justan, Dec 25, 2008.

1. justan macrumors member

so im not a complete noob on technical stuff, im actually really into it. BUT...whenever i connect my new touch it says "sync in progress" when i have nothing to sync and it says backing up. What is this? Thanks,

Justan

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    it saves things like app icon locations, transfering play counts, new saved photos etc.

3. justan thread starter macrumors member

4. iOwnxD macrumors member

and every time you connect your iPod it backs all the files up.

5. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

it does? mine doesn't. (not in that short time)

i presumed the syncing it does when you plug in (whether you're manually syncing or not) is as jmann4489 says, just a general status sync.

6. iOwnxD macrumors member

doesn't it says backing up your iPod?

7. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

it doesn't back up all the files. it just backs up small things like settings, app locations, bookmarks, calendar events, etc. this is so that if you ever have to restore your iPod, you can put the backup on your iPod when you're done so that the settings and app location and all that stay the same without you having to manually do it all over again.

8. pilotrtc macrumors regular

Auto Syncing

Under Preferences > Devices, you'll see a checkbox for "Disable automatic syncing for iPhones and iPods" which will stop the auto syncing which I personally find annoying. You just have to manually sync it if you update stuff constantly.