what's this?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ziet, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Ziet macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    have tried to find out what it does, even asked around, but none of my friends know what this button is for, and why it's there..
    so my question is, what is it?

sorry if this is in the wrong place, correct me if it is, I'm not posting here so often, I mostly read the news on the site..

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

On my wired keyboard, it says clear. Try selecting some text and pressing it. Unlike the delete keys, it does not delete characters before or after the cursor, but only when text is selected. I'm unsure if it has any uses besides clearing text though. I've never used it before.

3. advres Guest

advres

"clear"

From wiki - "A Clear key, instead of a Num Lock key, on models with full numeric keypads, as these are dedicated to numerals and not generally used for cursor control."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Keyboard

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Sweet! I just realized that in calculator (both application and widget), you can use it as an actual clear key too... Much easier than having to use escape as I have always been doing.

5. Ziet thread starter macrumors newbie

aah. now it's clear to me. heh, bad humor...

Thanks, i've just bought the keyboard, and wondered about the functionality of the button... thanks =P

(I'm wondering about the function of the help button too though, it just make the cursor into a question mark, but not a usable question mark though... maybe it worked better with older OS'...)

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Can't help you with that one. That button's missing entirely from my keyboard. Instead, there's a function ("fn") button.