Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikotiv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2016
I have been reading the rumors about the next iPhone. And we all know the Touch ID might in the back, but macrumors' readers don't it like why? Sincerely why? I have used Phones like that and it seems a good place for a fingerprint reader, your finger naturally rest in that place and you almost never notice when the device unlucks. But I want to know why you don't like it. Because of the design? Because we really want a finger print reader under the screen?

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have been reading the rumors about the next iPhone. And we all know the Touch ID might in the back, but macrumors' readers don't it like why? Sincerely why? I have used Phones like that and it seems a Google place for a fingerprint reader, your finger naturally rest in that place and you almost never notice when the divides unlucks. But I want to know why you don't like it. Because of the design? Because we really want a finger print reader under the screen?

Likely most "really want a finger print reader under the screen".

I would like it on the front. I do not want my iPhone to have the fingerprint reader in a "Google Place"

Reactions: DMVillain

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I don't want to be giving a sneaky reacharound to my phone whenever I want to unlock it. Pressing the home button or screen to unlock just works.

Let's not kid ourselves: if Samsung were able to build a fingerprint scanner into the display, they sure as hell wouldn't have put it on the back by the camera instead.

This wasn't a thoughtful or a user intuitive choice on their part. It was a compromise for a bezeless display, which ultimately only compromises one thing: the user experience. Now that's form over function.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I've used the rear fingerprint scanners on both the Nexus 5x and the Google Pixel. For the latter it's the one thing I dislike about the phone, it never ever feels natural. Maybe I just rest my fingers differently on the back of my phone though. For unlocking, mobile payments, just never feels right. The only aspect that I do like it for is swiping down for notifications.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have been reading the rumors about the next iPhone. And we all know the Touch ID might in the back, but macrumors' readers don't it like why? Sincerely why? I have used Phones like that and it seems a Google place for a fingerprint reader, your finger naturally rest in that place and you almost never notice when the divides unlucks. But I want to know why you don't like it. Because of the design? Because we really want a finger print reader under the screen?
I can only speak for me. Follow along…

iPhone 6/6+ was fugly.
iPhone 6s/6s+, fugly didn't change.
iPhone 7/7+, Apple doubles down on fugly.
iPhone X with Touch ID in the back? What do you know?!! Apple's capable of making it TRIPLE FUGLY!!!

Should this be the case, that's it I'm out. I'm not Spock and I'm not waiting for next year when it's a Medusan phone!

Is_There_In_Truth_No_Beauty_323-300x227.jpg

Reactions: Sunny1990

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Sounds like something Apple will do, that and make it thinner.

Yep, no disagreement there. Yet ironically the very people criticising Apple for this sort of thing couldn't be quicker to kiss Samsung's butt with the S8. Had Apple released that, you'd need to hold them by the leash.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yep, no disagreement there. Yet ironically the very people criticising Apple for this sort of thing couldn't be quicker to kiss Samsung's butt with the S8. Had Apple released that, you'd need to hold them by the leash.

The forum has all types of people.

No matter how nice or "fugly" the iPhone 8X ProSE is, it will not make everyone happy.

I want the new phone for the new screen technology but am not sure I am willing to give up my front button for it. Might have to wait till the next year when they go OLED.

Last edited:

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
How do you unlock the phone if wireless charging (as in, Qi style wireless charging) with a rear Touch ID?

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
I can only speak for me. Follow along…

iPhone 6/6+ was fugly.
iPhone 6s/6s+, fugly didn't change.
iPhone 7/7+, Apple doubles down on fugly.
iPhone X with Touch ID in the back? What do you know?!! Apple's capable of making it TRIPLE FUGLY!!!

Should this be the case, that's it I'm out. I'm not Spock and I'm not waiting for next year when it's a Medusan phone!

Is_There_In_Truth_No_Beauty_323-300x227.jpg
agree with you, fugly:mad: protruding vertical camera and now touch id on the back totally a dumb idea, i am done :( if this going to be true

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hmmm, my finger doesn't naturally rest anywhere near there. It seems like it would be awkward to be honest. First preference would for it to be under the screen, but I'd rather keep the bezels than for it to go on the back. Maybe if there was another biometric method that was both as fast and secure as Touch ID, I'd be open to it, but I don't think iris scanning or face detection is quite there yet.

Reactions: kltmom

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I don't want to be giving a sneaky reacharound to my phone whenever I want to unlock it. Pressing the home button or screen to unlock just works.

Let's not kid ourselves: if Samsung were able to build a fingerprint scanner into the display, they sure as hell wouldn't have put it on the back by the camera instead.

This wasn't a thoughtful or a user intuitive choice on their part. It was a compromise for a bezeless display, which ultimately only compromises one thing: the user experience. Now that's form over function.

I have used several devices with the rear sensor. At first it feels ... strange. Within a few days it becomes second nature and actually is a decent design. MHO YMMV.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I agree with your analysis of form over function. And I saw your post on one of the main page articles on the touch ID earlier today. And you made a comment about how you're starting maybe to believe that the touch ID may be on the back of the iPhone, which I tend to believe it will happen. Especially if, if Apple is planning on to utilize the whole display, it's just uncertain how they plan on executing this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.