Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Maybe I'm being a little paranoid here but I ordered my i5 MBP last week and still have yet to receive it but now I'm worried after reading all of these issues everyone is having. Apple is suppose to be the BEST and have the BEST quality for the price right? I have seen very few replies to people who actually have ZERO issues with the new Core i5/i7 MBP's. I feel like these issues go with PC's. I understand problems will occur with all notebooks but this is too much for Apple. For example:

The Yellow Tint
Speaker Issues
Build Quality (Scratches, Wobbling)
Wi-Fi Signals
Issues with Mac OS X
Slot Load Drive not reading discs
Dead Pixels
Sleep Issues (not automatically going into sleep)

I'm just worried I spent nearly $2,500 and I'm reading about all of these issues on what's suppose to be the BEST.

Dozerrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Exeter
Maybe I'm being a little paranoid here but I ordered my i5 MBP last week and still have yet to receive it but now I'm worried after reading all of these issues everyone is having. Apple is suppose to be the BEST and have the BEST quality for the price right? I have seen very few replies to people who actually have ZERO issues with the new Core i5/i7 MBP's. I feel like these issues go with PC's. I understand problems will occur with all notebooks but this is too much for Apple. For example:

The Yellow Tint
Speaker Issues
Wi-Fi Signals
Issues with Mac OS X
Dead Pixels

I'm just worried I spent nearly $2,500 and I'm reading about all of these issues on what's suppose to be the BEST.

People don't post to say all's well. These problems are in the minority.

Tiki35

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada
You have to remember, people usually only use forums/newsgroups to report problems so it only appears like it is widespread. The vast majority like myself have no issues whatsoever with their Macs.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Given the complexity of hardware/software these days, it's just the reality of things. The whole "it just works" mentality is a myth and sets unrealistic expectations. Both in the operating system and in hardware Apple really doesn't stand out above the rest in terms of stability and defect free systems. My group deploys thousands of PC machines, using different manufacturers across regions (primarily Dell in the US and Thinkpads for rest of world these days) and I can say that those are largely solid hardware and stable OS. However, we see issues there as well.

I enjoy the design of the Mac hardware and still prefer the Apple OS over Windows (although by a much smaller margin with Windows 7), but it's not a night & day difference between the two worlds. My most recent Win7/Lenovo x200 had only 1 quirk in the 6 months I had it (system tray for a printer utility didn't show consistently) vs the handful of issues I've seen with my i7 MBP in the first week.

Does that bother me? Maybe a bit, but it's just the state of things today. People just need to stop putting Apple on such a high pedestal.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
The only issue I had was when I got my Macbook Pro 15" i5 it kept giving me the kernal panic error message every half a hour when just browsing the web.

I phoned Apple and because I was within 14 days of buying it they sent me a brand new one out which got here within 2 days of phoning them and then after the new one had been delivered they got a courier to come and pick the broken one up.

So even if you do get an issue with your Macbook Pro then it is painless to get it replaced by Apple.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I appreciate the reassurance. I do know that people only post the problems on message boards. The thing that really has me worried is the Wi-fi issues and the screen. I am sure when I get mine it will be flawless.

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
People don't post to say all's well. These problems are in the minority.

exactly. think of it like this - MILLIONS of people around the world have bought these new MBPs. Yet only hundreds of people are viewing these particular forums at a time. So it stands to reason the problems people are having are very much in the minority.

It's kinda like that restaurant analogy - you eat at a restaurant with bad food or service, and you'll tell ten people about it. BUT if you get good food and service, you'll never really mention it to too many folks. why? because you expect good food and service.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
I bought a 17" i5 with glossy display the same day they were released. I returned it several days later because I felt like I cheated myself and needed the anti-glare. I exchanged it for a 17" i7 with anti-glare display. After opening it I discovered two small dents in the bottom casing. I took it back and exchanged it for another. The one I have now is perfect.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
none of the problems threads have evolved into 'let's get a class action lawsuit going!' yet so based on that, i'd say there aren't any widespread issues.. just localized ones and apple will take care of you on that front if needed

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I appreciate the reassurance. I do know that people only post the problems on message boards. The thing that really has me worried is the Wi-fi issues and the screen. I am sure when I get mine it will be flawless.

Think of it this way: if there was a known significant issue that was affecting even 5% of the MBPs being purchased, "news outlets" like gizmodo and engadget would be all over it. The in-thing is to skewer Apple and find faults. And if there were faults above the norm, they would find it and trumpet it as if 95% of macs purchased had the issue.

Incidentally: I'm lovin' my i5 MBP. No issues, and I'm pretty meticulous.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
It's true that most of these issues are a small minority..
But some small issues maybe more widespread than you'd think, it's just that the average user doesn't complain because they think it's normal or don't notice.

Apple is suppose to be the BEST and have the BEST quality for the price right? I feel like these issues go with PC's.

First of all, macs are technically pc's no matter how you look at it.. They are not supercomputers sent from heavens above that many will lead you to believe.
And what's "best" is simply someones opinion, they are good at a lot of things but not everything. I think the macbook pro is an excellent product but I wouldn't go so far to say it's the best. You just have to remember that nothing is ever perfect..

anyways.. I wouldn't worry about it so much. I'm sure yours will likely be problem free and a great computer for the next couple years.

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL

The Yellow Tint
Speaker Issues
Wi-Fi Signals
Issues with Mac OS X
Dead Pixels

I bought my 17" i5 macbook pro the day it came out and i have zero issues. My screen has zero yellow tint or dead pixel issues. I did all the screen tests online and my mbp passed all them. I have zero scratches and my laptop doesnt wobble at all. My wifi is awesome, it picks up all 4 of my neighbors signals and it never drops. lol. Signal is excellent. My mbp sleeps perfect. I have never had any issues whatsoever with this laptop. Well besides the volume seeming to be low when watching youtube videos and on pandora.com. Dont know if thats my computer having an issue or what.

I would not hesitate to purchase a mbp right now. They are awesome machines. Dont let a few forums posts discourage you. I think most peoples wifi issues are because of user error or other signals screwing with them like microwaves, cordless phones, etc.....

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I bought my 17" i5 macbook pro the day it came out and i have zero issues. My screen has zero yellow tint or dead pixel issues. I did all the screen tests online and my mbp passed all them. I have zero scratches and my laptop doesnt wobble at all. My wifi is awesome, it picks up all 4 of my neighbors signals and it never drops. lol. Signal is excellent. My mbp sleeps perfect. I have never had any issues whatsoever with this laptop. Well besides the volume seeming to be low when watching youtube videos and on pandora.com. Dont know if thats my computer having an issue or what.

I would not hesitate to purchase a mbp right now. They are awesome machines. Dont let a few forums posts discourage you. I think most peoples wifi issues are because of user error or other signals screwing with them like microwaves, cordless phones, etc.....

No issues at all? Weren't you posting about very short battery life before?

hypermog

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
What I don't understand is how someone can use a phrase like "what's suppose to be the best" and have $2,500 to spend on a computer...

etceteraism

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
Is now a good time to buy then or will there likely be some "fixes" in the near future?

I'd like to buy a new MBP now, but I can wait until as late as August if some of these issues might get fixed.

2high2aim

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
SoCal
Most of the hyped on products get a negative rep due to people wanted to undermine what they dont have such as new electronics and automobiles. Small problems are exaggerated too BIG problems.

boostmiser

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
I've got one dead pixel on my 15" high-res matte but it's not in a conspicuous spot nor is it distracting. That's LG for you. Funny thing is it wasn't there the first day....it died after a day of use. Otherwise, perfect.

King Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010

For the mass of apple customers, these are not issues. I personally have no issues to report on my 13" mbp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.